Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Dec 6, 2008, 10:21 PM   #1

I got my new fz28 an im fiddling around with the controls...when using the +/-ev button to change the exposure level...for example +2...the lcd screen view does get very 'overexposed' but the review pic looks normal....

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"I have tried different settings...turning somethings on and others off....with the flash off it seems to work better than others...

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"I turned on the histogram and saw the graph all the way to the right but when i took the photo the histogram was in the middle.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"Im worried that something is wrong with the camera....because im used to my little casio point and shoot and the +2ev there would give you a washed out pic on the lcd and in the review screen.

Any suggestions on what im doing wrong?
henhen is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 6, 2008, 10:56 PM   #2

When you apply the EV correction, you will see no change in the LCD screen until you half depress the shutter. Then, when the shutter is released, you will see the effect of your EV corrections in the taken photo.

Also it is best to gradually apply the EV corrections in smaller increments, until you your desired goal is achieved. On a scale of1 to 10, a correction of +1.0 EV is equal to a change of +2 on that 1 to 10 scale. ISO changes in contrast are huge. They are the equivalent of 8 or 9 on a scale of 1 to 10.

Make small corrections until you can more accurately judge the effect of you EV corrections.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2008, 11:20 PM   #3

thanks for the info but,

when i change the ev+- ..up or down the exposure in the lcd goes up and down...and its not the lcd brightness...you can see the white glowing overexposure....and i dont have to hold down the shutter button half way.

perhaps it has something to do if im on high zoom or low light condition?
henhen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2008, 2:07 PM   #4

You didn't mention what mode you are shooting in (IA, P, etc.).

There's a menu setting that controls whether the viewfinder shows you areas that are going to be overexposed by burning them out. This feature can be turned on or off. It's possible that with even -2EV you are going to overexpose some highlight areas (at least as far as the camera is concerned) and that's what you're seeing.

Tony Karp at http://www.tlc-systems.com has just finished posting a four-part series on FZ28 menu settings and what they do. It's no substitute for the manual, but it's a must-read for anyone who wants to get familiar with the camera because, unlike the manual, it explains the menus in plain English.

Maybe Tony's site can help you.
rfdandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2008, 2:52 PM   #5

Thank you sooooo much for that URL of Tony's site!! That is a world of helpful information & as you said, in plain English.That site will help me "bone up" on the FZ28 (which I will receive next week) & is MOST helpful. Love it...................

Thanks again!!!!!!!

Nightspirit is offline   Reply With Quote