Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jan 8, 2009, 11:37 AM   #1

I have to admit that I'm confused. I want to play with a fisheye lens and found both of these on Amazon

Opteka .35x HD² Super Wide Angle Panoramic Macro Fisheye Lens

Opteka HD² 0.20X Professional Super AF Fisheye Lens

I know there must be a simple answer, but I am just too uneducated photography wise to tell the difference in these two.

Can anyone shed some light on these lenses, or has anyone had any experience with them?

Any assistance will be appreciated.

K8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 8, 2009, 2:12 PM   #2

Hello Kate,

Had a quick look at the website of Opteka, and for the .20x fish eye, they have a few examples of what the effect looks like:

same for the .35x wide-angle:

The .20x is (almost) a circular fish eye converter, meaning that you have a 180 degree field of view to every direction of the black corners. -Almost, because the circle doesn't fit completely in the frame.

The .35x full frame fish eye converter provides 180 degreee field of view over the diagonal line, and doesn't come with the vignetting (black corners). Appearantly it also has a special lens for macro photography, but I'm not sure what this exactly is in this package. The panoramic notes comes in should you like to make (VR) panorama's. -check this website: http://www.panoramas.dk

Programs like Realviz stitcher unlimited, or Panorama Tools (GUI) can handle these full-frame fish-eye images, and stitch them into a panorama. It is however a rather precise technique, requiring special panorama-heads for the tripod, practise, and postprocessing skills

These seem beautifully priced lenses by the way; I bought the Raynox full-frame fish-eye converter, and it costed me much much more :O

I hope this helps a bit

Happy shooting! GB

-edit: added a 360 degree panorama shot using a fish-eye lens
Attached Images
greenbaron is offline   Reply With Quote