Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jan 9, 2009, 3:20 PM   #1

I was going to post this in the Tripods and Heads section but it doesn't look like that section gets a lot of traffic.

I've been playing with my fz28k for a month now and I think it's time to get a nice tripod! Any suggestions for under $50? Since I'm a beginner in this, I don't have any preferences but I would like it to be durible. I've checked out amazon and newegg. I was thinking of this one: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16830997659

Let me know what you think.

FineTuned is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 9, 2009, 4:17 PM   #2

I have an FZ7 and had to have recently used my Velbon VG-3 tripod for a couple of projects. (Dont use it often but when you need it, it is a got-to-have.)

The only suggestion is to ensure that you purchase one that is (besides not being wobbly) has sufficient mass so that it is not easily tipped or blown over by the wind.

Some of the tripods I see now are too insubstantial (ie, made of plastic, are too wobbly and are would easily tip with little force as for example from a wind gust).

The one you show appears OK.
sdromel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2009, 8:04 AM   #3

I suppose you just may as well do this as everyone else does.....buy a 20 dollar tripod and when you find out its junk, then buy a 50 dollar one and so-on ....at somewhere between 100 and 1000 dollars you will find one that works for you.

The FZ28 being a light camera does not seem to require a strong tripod , but smoothness and almost no creep are very important when using a long zoom.....and very little vibration is very importantfor long exposures, so as you see a good tripod and smooth headare really needed, and its easy to spend more than you did for the camera........now what are you willing to settle for? my guess is you will do it like we all did ....and purchase 2 or 3 tripods that are not worth owning.

I would look at getting a decent set of legs that can be set at many different positions for many situations, including low angle macros......and then get a smooth head..... My3rd set of legs are still with me, but I have changed heads several more times.
genece is offline   Reply With Quote