Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Mar 31, 2009, 10:16 AM   #1

I purchased a Lumix TZ5 last year, Fab camera for all my needs for just under £300.

But since last year I found I am tired of date stamping each and every picture manually. Would you believe it such a high techy camera and it has no auto date stamp function. How silly is that? even a £30 camera has this as standard. So you can imagine going on holiday or a birthday party snapping away on to my 4Gb mem card and before you know it I have over 100-150 pictures to sit and date. Not only that I have to do it on the day otherwise the camera date changes and I miss out on dating my pics on the actual day they were taken... :evil:

I contacted Panasonic UK who were as much help as chocolate tea cup. They just repeated that date stamping has to be done manually..

Does anyone out there know a code a patch, or something which will tell the TZ5 to date stamp each photo after each shot??? :?

Thanks...

jigsaw2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 1, 2009, 9:09 AM   #2

Date stamping seems like a useless funtion to me but if you wish you can run a batch processor to do that for you such as this

http://smallrepairs.50webs.com/Photos%20Date%20Stamper/

or

http://www.batchphoto.com/ppc-g/wate...FYZM5Qodaw3Muw

And there are many others..... some free, some not.

Here is a page of such programs

http://wareseeker.com/free-file-date-stamp-1.0/

And if you use PS or a program that can use actions, an action can be written to do as you wish.
genece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2009, 10:56 AM   #3
Super Moderator

Welcome to Steve's.

I'm intrigued why you want to have a physical stamp on the photo when it is stored in the Exif. Once you have stamped a photo then if you want to print it will have this stamp on so most of us just stick with the electronic date.

Mark
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2009, 9:13 AM   #4
Administrator

I'm with Mark. Date stamps can be unsightly and ruin a photo (especially if the colors clash).

As Mark1616 mentioned, the settings a camera used to take a photo are included inthe EXIF (a header that is part of your images).This header includes the date and time an image was taken. As already pointed out by others, you can get software that can read the date the photo was taken, and stamp your images with the date if desired.

One example of a free utility isExifer for Windows (it's watermark feature can read the date information, and place it on the photos in batch mode).

Irfanview also has that ability with it's batch processing features.

Using software to stamp the photos (instead of a camera's date stamp feature), insures that you always have originals without the date stamp (since it can be unsightly). Simplywork with copies of your originals so you'll have versions with and without a date stamp.

Some printing software can also place the date on a photo when printing (reading it from the header in the image file). Even the free EasyPrint software Canon includes with some of it's newer Pixma printers has this feature (and some third party printing software like QImage Pro can also do this, with nodate stampfeature in the camera needed).
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote