Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Apr 19, 2009, 4:25 PM   #1

Man around 3yrs ago this forum was really jumping with activity.....what's happened?
TD Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 19, 2009, 7:17 PM   #2

I agree with your comment as far as the general photos are concerned. Thiswas the most 'talkative' forums. However, in the last six months to a year,if you would observe, there has beena perceptible reduction in the number of replies for any given post, though the number of 'views' is satisfactory. May be life is turning hectic for everyone, giving them time enough only to post their photos and see others' photos and do not much thereafter. As for technical issues, I think the forum still remains active.
Raghu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2009, 8:36 PM   #3

You're right friend the views are still there but it's lacking the participation and well remembered banter from what I remember and have made some good friends and they seem to be gone now
TD Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2009, 11:20 AM   #4

I also would agree. A few years back I was a participant in the throng of digital camera discussion exchanges on this site. But I think that one of the main issues is that since then, digital cameras & their ownership by the public has become passe.

Also, cameras have in general become better. Most people I know or see using digitals just use them & dont seem to have any serious issues or complaints.

The areas though which people would still like to see improved probably havent changed much. Low light performance and white balance indoors are two areas in which I would like to see improvements. But again these are limitations classically problematic with small sensor cameras.
sdromel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2009, 4:24 PM   #5

Yes, the reduction in activity is disappointing. I suspect two things have mainly contributed:
1. Diminishing activity generates diminishing interest which, in turn, generates diminishing activity which, in turn, generates even less interest ..... (A sort of self-perpetuating cycle).
2. The rapidly evolving FZ line seems to have provoked much of the earlier excitement as Panny remained ahead of the pack with all sorts of interesting innovations. Now that the line has been discontinued (except for the FZ28 ), there is less to discuss. The G1, though innovative, seems to have received a rather lukewarm reception on this and on other fora -- I'm not sure why.
What really surprises me is that there has been so little discussion of the LX3 on this forum - unlike elsewhere.
WindRowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2009, 9:47 AM   #6

I am from the past as well but have only been able to visit intermittently in the past 3 years or so due to death in the family, having to take on a new job, rearranging my schedule accordingly etc. I have sorely missed the friendly banter, advice, support, general sharing and critiques which were all so extremely helpful to me while trying to learn all that I could about my new camera.

Now that things are settling into more normal routines I am looking forward to picking up my good ol' FZ30 and seeing what I can do again.

See you soon,

Last edited by gotta.learn; May 10, 2009 at 9:50 AM. Reason: Could not work exceptable spellcheck and needed to copy and paste from word. Now letters are too dim.
gotta.learn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2009, 2:29 PM   #7

I have only just found this forum ........ my Panasonic TZ7 is on order and due at the end of the week and so hopefully I will be popping in with questions and photos, but at the moment I am just lurking.
LizG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2009, 5:04 PM   #8

I started here with my LC40s and got to meet alot of really fun people here. I used to come here quite often and glean quite a bit of information from some seasoned photographers who were taking the jump from film to digital and the FZ's were definitely the hot topic and the add-ons from all around and also the photo sharing was second to none. I will be taking more time to visit here and see what the new Panny offerings are producing. I will most likely post IR images since I still have my favorite FZ1v2.
vIZnquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2009, 4:37 PM   #9

This issue has been brought up (and discussed) in other forums here at Steve's. I used to be a very active participant of various forums (landscape/Sony/Olympus/Bi-weekly Challenge, here to a certain extent, etc.). I have many theories as to why participation has diminished but to be honest, they don't matter really. The thing is, we all post images expecting to receive some sort of feedback from viewers (opinions, criticisms, suggestions whether positive or negative). Otherwise, why post? We can simply buy a 750 Gb hard drive and store all pictures we take in there and be done with it. But, that's not fun, is it? The fun part of taking pictures is to share them with people and to read what others have to say about our work, it is to participate in challenges, to learn from the more experienced people. OK, perhaps this does not apply to everyone but it certainly applies to me. So, as participation diminishes, so does people's interest in posting new pictures. Why will anyone spend time in front of their computer, post processing images, taking the time to write something about them if they'll get no feedback from anybody? It's a vicious cycle, very hard to break.
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2009, 8:39 AM   #10

No doubt there's many reasons for participating in this or other forums. Similarly, there's many reasons for a drop in activity. I joined the digital/Panasonic forums when I became interested in digital photography and the FZ camera series. Over the past years, personal excitement about the technology and the camera brand diminished somewhat. I believe the same has happened to the 'public' in general.

I've seen this before. 'Something' becomes popular and catches the public's eye. Coverage feeding that new popularity springs up in the form of magazines and columns, specialty shows in the electronic media, and, these days, 'forums'. Consider stereo hi fi in the 50's, slot racers in the 60's along with affordable 35mm systems, the dawn of PC's and PC gaming in the 80's, and the internet in the 90's. Now in the naughts we have digital cameras.

The reason for my involvement was to learn. As I did I spent less time with the forums. As forums turned to discussions about new camera models that I chose not to acquire my forum activity dropped again. But I still visit three different sites daily...I just don't spend as much time with them as I use to.

Everyone has their own motivation and purpose for the camera forums. I for one have never 'shared' a photo...and have never wanted to but I've read postings of some forums twice daily for over five years.

jmgiv is offline   Reply With Quote