Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jun 29, 2009, 11:10 PM   #1
Default Coloured Wavy Lines on screen

Hello from Adelaide, South Australia and please be patient with this rank amateur! Here is my introductory post.
I have taken 200 - 300 photos with my new Lumix DMC-FS5 and have been pleased with the results (relative to my earlier efforts). When I switched my camera on today I was surprised to see multiple vertical lines in various colours appearing in approx 1/3 of the screen at the RH end of the screen. I proceeded to take about 50 shots and have downloaded these to my computer and can see that the photos appear 'normal' - no vertical stripes.
Can someone please tell me if this is a serious fault with the camera or if there is any 'fix' available in the camera's software that I may be able to access.
I look forward to having your suggestions and comments. Shaky
Shaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 30, 2009, 5:04 AM   #2

That sounds like it's probably related to the LCD or one of it's supporting components if the images look fine on your PC monitor. If it's a brand new camera, you may want to see if the vendor will replace it for you (if not, you may want to consider sending it to the manufacturer for service).

We have a dedicated Panasonic / Leica Forum setup for discussion about Panasonic models like your Lumix DMC-FS5. So, I'll move this thread there now for you, so that some of our members shooting with Panasonicmodels may see it and offer suggestions.

Good Luck with it and please let us know when you find and resolve the problem.

BTW, Welcome to the forums
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2009, 8:52 PM   #3

Make sure the battery is fully charged - the display may require more current than it is getting - weird things can happen when batteries get low. Cameras today contain mini computers, and they can develop glitches like their big brothers sometimes do. You can try removing the battery for half an hour or so after turning it off; then replace it and see if it resets to normal. If not there is probably something that has gone wrong with the display and it should be serviced under warranty of replaced by the seller.

Sometimes there are problems with early production runs that can be corrected by issuing updated firmware - have you checked the Panasonic website to see if there are any downloadable firmware updates available for your camera?

Last edited by penolta; Jun 30, 2009 at 8:58 PM.
penolta is offline   Reply With Quote