Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Aug 8, 2009, 6:55 AM   #11

Originally Posted by rfdandrea View Post
I also recommend a site like flickr. I almost signed up for a Picasa web albums account, but then I read their user agreement. Although I would still own my photos, it gives Google a license to use them and to let other people use them. That's like not owning your pictures at all. Alternatively, you can watermark them or place a copyright notice on them, but I hate doing that as it destroys the "look." Best to find an online album site that's not owned by the Evil Empire.
I signed up for PWA just to give it a try, but I have no pics posted on it atm.

I also have a flickr account, but I don't use it much -- I'm not really interested in paying for a pro account just to store my large/original images. A year's subscription isn't terribly expensive, but free is... even better.

I discovered MyOtherDrive.com and find it has everything I need. There's no provision for comments/discussion/ratings, but it's a sacrifice I'm willing to make in exchange for what they do provide. Free accounts get an album and 2GB storage. The album has thumbnail and basic screen views, and the original image can be direct linked. Free accounts can also store and make available original/full size pics. There is also a reasonable number of permission level settings. There is a desktop client app available as well.
Any file type can be stored on their system, which is a plus. It is, afterall, intended primarily as a backup storage service.

At any rate, the following quote from their TOS is what prompted me to respond here:

"Your Intellectual Property Rights. ByteRocket does not claim any ownership in any of the content, including any text, data, information, images, photographs, music, sound, video, or other material, that you upload, transmit or store in your MyOtherDrive account. We will not use any of your content for any purpose except to provide you with the Service."
Lazy Lens is offline   Reply With Quote