Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Oct 5, 2009, 12:04 PM   #1
Default Spider ID anyone?

As you folks seemed to enjoy ID'ing another person's mystery bug, I thought I'd give you a chance to ID this guy (or gal?) before sending pics (and maybe specimen) to an entomologist.

I submitted these pics of this tiny spider to whatsthatbug.com a while back and they didn't respond.

Spiderzrule.com didn't have anything like it in its gallery.

A great deal of Googling proved fruitless.

It's sort of like a baby brown recluse. The cephalothorax is similarly disc-shaped but the mark doesn't seem to be much like a violin (yes, I know it can be indistinct on juveniles), and this one appears to have 2 large eyes and the legs are wrong.
It's sort of like a sac spider, but not as transparent, and the eyes and abdomen are different w/no apparent spinnerets.

As best I could tell from hovering a ruler over it, the overall size of the spider in these pics is about 3mm, including legs.

This spider seems to favor my cotton bedspread and cotton Roman blinds, as I frequently find them on these surfaces. I've seen them in other parts of the house, but not nearly as often. It's certainly not shy about roaming around in a constantly-lit room, which is further evidence it isn't a recluse. Oh, btw, I'm in the Houston, TX area.

Sometimes I'll wake up with small, itchy welts on my body and I fear these little guys might be biting me in my sleep, even when I sleep in a chair rather than on a bed. These bumps are not quite like mosquito bites, and they take a lot longer to disappear than mosquito bites do (on me anyway).

Any ideas what this is?

Lazy Lens is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 5, 2009, 8:01 PM   #2
Default spider

is there any way it could be a hobo spider?

clay1771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2009, 9:35 PM   #3

Mystery solved. After reading up some on house spiders, I finally found it.
It is the Oecobius navus (baseboard or stucco spider):

Lazy Lens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2009, 6:48 AM   #4

Wow, good shot and good job identifying it! I just learned something new. Thank you for sharing this.
gotta.learn is offline   Reply With Quote