Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Nov 19, 2003, 9:48 AM   #1
Default FZ10 in low light?

Hello all.

I recently bought a Fuji S5000 and am quite pleased with it. I've been lurking and the Panasonic FZ10 has obviously cought my eye. It seems superior to the Fuji in all regards, and with a 2.8 lens at > 400mm? Wow!

The one question I have, though, is about the low light focus ability of the FZ10. One of the primary things that led us to the S5000 was its ability to focus well, indoors, at nighttime with just a few lamps on. The S5000 uses a green AF-assist lamp. In fact, it takes reasonable pictures in complete darkness and can sometimes AutoFocus as well!

a) Does the FZ10 have any focus assist lamp, use a passive focus assist (like high-gain B&W) or nothing?
b) Any thoughts on the FZ10 doing well indoors at night with a few lamps on.

I have 7 days left in my Fuji return period, so....
rick325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 19, 2003, 10:47 AM   #2

For handheld, low available light photography I expect the FZ10 is usable based on experience with FZ1 (no special low light assist capabilities). Whether the FZ1 is set to ISO50 or ISO400 if you are shooting at 1/8 sec at f2.8 you will have an image in the LCD or EVF bright enough to compose your photograph. Further, assuming you can focus on something with a reasonable amount of vertical contrast, focusing should be fine too. With the FZ1 (less so with FZ10) the depth of field at maximum wide angle setting is so huge it's almost difficult to get an out of focus shot at this setting. At higher zoom settings, you'll probably need a bit more light to get a more reasonable shutter speed to avoid camera shake; so the alleged low light problems become even less of an issue. And with the FZ10 there is manual focus as a fail-safe.

When picture taking in extreme low light conditions where flash is required to get any sort of picture, it may be the case here that other cameras (quite possibly your Fuji) successfully achieve an autofocus lock where the FZ10 cannot. Here you might have to rely on the FZ10's default focus setting, depth of field available or, of course, the manual focus.

Hope this is some help.
normjackson is offline   Reply With Quote