Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Dec 23, 2009, 9:22 PM   #1
Default Is a P&S camera user buying a GF-1 a waste of money?

I simply want the best image quality possible with everything being equal (without going DSLR). I know my way around the manual settings on my P&S, and know how to use them, but that's as far is it goes (and will likely go).

Am I wasting my money by buying a camera that I will never use half of the features, or will the better DSLR sensor make it worth my while?

Follow up question 1: Would you consider the GF-1 an excellent camera for low light photos (compared to say the Canon powershot S90)?

Follow up question 2: Does the GF-1 have a full auto mode?

Last edited by pnut; Dec 24, 2009 at 6:01 AM.
pnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 24, 2009, 12:19 AM   #2

With the 20mm f/1.7 lens and iso 3200, in my opinion it would do very well in low light.

2. Yes

Hawgwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2009, 11:53 AM   #3

The GF1 comes in two different configurations. One with the 14-45mm and another with the 20mm. Surprisingly enough, they both cost the same (or at least they used to when first launched). The reason I say that is because the 20mm is a much superior lens. It alone goes for $400. This is a very fast lens (f1.7) and the optics are excellent. I have the G1 but a co-worker has the GF1 with the 14-45mm lens and he has taken some pretty amazing indoor shots with flash. I also don't have any experience with the Canon S90 but knowing the capabilities of the m4/3 system, I'd say the GF1 is a much superior option.

Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2009, 2:04 PM   #4

The Panasonic GF-1 equipped with the Panasonic 20mm F 1.7 lens is a really creditable low light performer. And yes, the GF-1 has an auto mode.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote