Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Mar 9, 2010, 3:00 PM   #1

Default About to purchase a Panasonic Lumix FZ35

Hi there;
In my preveous thread where I introduced myself as a new member I mentioned that I am looking for a new camera, the Lumix FZ35 in particular. As I also mentioned I have really researched this camera a lot and I like the reviews about it.

Here is what I am looking for: a camera that comes close to an DSL without the cumbersome handling of the camera/lense kit.
Also a camera I can do close to what I can do with an expensive set without dishing out a lot of money.

I like the Lumix for it's appearance and for the fact that it has a
Leica DC Vario-Elmarit-branded 18X optical zoom lense with a range from 27mm wide angle to a 486mm telephoto. And I like the fact that it takes a Lithium Batteries. The double AA's have not done the trick for me in the past.

See, I did research this cam, but I still need your help. please.
I like to acquire a camera where I can shoot birds with. Birds in flight: Hummingbirds (while feeding) , Wren's while zipping in and out of their Wren House.
Would the Panasonic Lumix FZ35 be doing this job for me? It should be good with the X18 zoom I think?

Also a question about shutter speed, does the Lumix offer continues , fast shooting (sorry I am not familiar with the professional word for this) How many shoots per second? If anyone could send in a photo taken with this particular camera taken of a bird, perhaps a bird in flight, I would be so happy.

Like I mentioned, I know there is much better (and more expensive ) equipment on the market but I like to stay in the under middle price range.

I see that Mark 1616 is an able adviser , so perhaps I can turn to you and other photo bugs here with this question. Anything at all would be greatly appreciated.

Calendula
Calendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 9, 2010, 3:38 PM   #2
Super Moderator

honestly, if you want to shoot any birds in flight, you will need a DSLR. they are the only thing that will have the focus tracking needed, as well as the optical viewfinder allowing you to actually see what you are shooting (the evf/lcd on any superzoom won't keep up). not only that, but they also then have continuous shooting performance needed to get the shot you want.

the fz35 is a nice camera for wildlife that is sitting still in good light, but, for any bird in flight, animal in motion, there really is no getting around the need for a dslr.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2010, 11:18 AM   #3

Default About to purchase a Panasonic

Thanks Hards 80.

I expected as much of a reply, guess I was hoping for the impossible in camera performance in that price range.

However, a while back I had searched for a combination of a DSLR 80 Nikon and a 200 mm lense , went to Henry's Camera shop here in our town and got an estimate for same - around $ 1000.

But after I gave it some thought, I am not a serious enough photographer to spent that much of money on a camera , I like to justify the reason why I buy things. Would I use it enough to get my money's worth out of it? The answer is no.

But you are very correct with your advice and I am glad I did ask here, it shows me that deep down I knew I was asking for too much. It was also my fault , I did not ask the right question. Let me try again.

From a distance of approx. 20 feet (from garden bench to birds house) can I get a decent picture of a small bird that happens to be stationary with the Panasonic Lumix with 18X zoom capability?
Better then the pic of the Rosebreasted Grossbeak pic I took with my Nikon P3?

Thank you again for your time.

Calenduls
Calendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2010, 11:27 AM   #4
Super Moderator

The FZ-35 with its nice long zoom lens is a wonderful camera for stationary birds.

It is much more capable for that task than the P3.

For stationary birds, you can't do much better, and you should be quite pleased.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2010, 12:11 PM   #5
Administrator

Hey guys, I'm going to move this thread to the Panasonic forum

Calenduls, welcome to Steve's!
billy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2010, 12:41 PM   #6

Calendula-

Welcome to the Forum and to the Panasonic P+S Folder. We're delighted that you dropped by.

Dustin/Hards was correct. For very good photos of birds in flight, a DSLR camera is a must. Getting into a DSLR need not be overly expensive. The Sony A-230 is selling for around $(US)370 to 380 here in the USA with the 18-55mm kit lens. A longer zoom such as the Sony 55-200mm lens (82mm to 300mm in 35mm terms) is selling for around $(US)100 on E-Bay, so that is a possibility.

The FZ-35 with 18X optical zoom (27 to 504mm in 35mm terms) is very capable of wonderful bird shots, but it cannot focus on a bird in flight. We have a very active Fz-35 group here in the Panasonic P+S folder. So not only are we friendly, but we can provide a good deal of technical support on the FZ-35 as well.

Attached you will find a photo of a Butcher Bird. This is the kind of photos that the FZ-35 excels at when doing bird photos.

Have a great day.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2010, 12:44 PM   #7

Calendula, here are a few. I'll post a few more in the album.

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/me...fz35-pics.html
Clint501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2010, 2:18 PM   #8

Nice photos, Clint-

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2010, 2:53 PM   #9

This is good news indeed! Because I am an avid birder, especially around the feeder that we've put into a tree in our garden.

Regards,
Mark
Old Mar 11, 2010, 3:29 AM   #10

I have had the FZ35/38 for a few weeks now, and i think it is great for garden birds. I dont think you will be dissapointed.
Alun
Attached Images

Alun_D is offline   Reply With Quote