Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Mar 21, 2010, 11:03 AM   #1
Default Using the FZ35 Video

I have both the FZ28 and the FZ35. The FZ28 video is basically unsatisfactory for me. The sound is very poor and the colors, to my eye, are pretty blah.

The FZ35 video will use whatever mode you have the dial set on when you use the red button for video. In other words, in P mode, if you have the saturation bumped a little, the videos will be a little more vivid also. In custom video, you can use the shutter button and have many options.

Yesterday, at a Little League game, I shot quite a few video clips in MJPEG mode. I found them all to be outstanding. I have concluded that I should make my clips smaller, though. When a kid is batting, there is no sense filming the dead time between pitches. You can easily eliminate those clips that are meaningless. It's a problem if you have one long clip since the FZ35 has no shortening capability in camera. They could be edited with software, of course.

I use Picasa to pull still stills from video. One thing I found that I really can't explain is why the video grabs from these videos are so sharp and focused, even better than my Canon TX1. I think the answer must be that the Leica lens is outstanding and the image stabilization is much better. Believe it or not, these 1280x720 stills from videos seem to be about the same quality as the 3mp stills I get from high speed burst,...perfectly acceptable for small prints, emails, computer viewing etc.

Pixel peepers might not like 1280x720 stills but my family loves them. It's easier to catch real action with the video grabs than even 10fps bursts.

Setter Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links