Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Apr 28, 2010, 8:20 AM   #1
Default Optical zoom issues with my TZ5

Awhile ago, I bought a Panasonic TZ5

Mainly for its HD recording features. However it also boasts of 10x optical zoom and 9mp.
Previously, I had on old Pentax 3mp, 3x op zoom camera.

I was disappointed that the panny is not as sharp as the pentax, but I can live with it. It was the optical zoom that was so disappointing. I thought optical zoom does not affect the clarity of the photos. However, I found that, even when taken without flash in daylight, the zoomed pics were washed out and slightly blurred (grainy). However, I did find that if I used the tele macro mode, it was much better. But I can't use this mode with a lot of shots. The lowest ISO setting is 100 when i dont use auto-ISO but even if I set it to this, most zoomed pictures still lack clarity. I have set it to 5mp and 3mp mode with no difference. The whole picture would look slightly washed out, not just the object of focus, so it cannot be because the object was moving whe I took the shot.

You can see the comparison here:
The Everton one has no zoom, the other has 10x zoom. You can clearly see the difference. Is this normal?

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
machofairy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links