Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Aug 13, 2010, 5:08 AM   #1
Default Photo Prints and Archiving

Hi All,

This may not be the correct forum to ask this question on, but i will ask anyways

I was planning to take good quality prints for few of my pictures from my FZ 35 as well as other digital P&S cameras i have used in the past. I plan to do this as some friends of mine want my pictures framed and on their walls

Now my question is what kind of paper should one print on? I can give it to the standard photo studio and they will print everything on photo paper, i have heard there is something called archival paper which is of excellent quality and your photo prints last a lifetime. Any one know about this?
Also, is there different paper to print B&W photos and colour photos?

I saw another thhread where Mark1616 said that we can take prints up to 30x20? However, does anyone have any suggestions on that?

Thanks in advance for the time and attention this post may take!

RohanS is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 13, 2010, 1:23 PM   #2

Archival paper is 100% acid free photo paper. It is something that you will specialized institutions like museums using. It is very expensive paper stock and there are few commercial photo printers who can make prints on archival paper.

Natural Light is the element that will degrade any photo print over a long period of time. Therefore, the lighting conditions under which a framed print is hung is important to consider when considering the life span of the print.

Most commercially produced prints, when hung indoors, will have a 10 to 15 year life span based on the amount of natural light in the room.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2010, 3:04 AM   #3

Thanks Sarah for the reply!
RohanS is offline   Reply With Quote