Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Aug 25, 2010, 9:42 AM   #1

Default ZS7 - Can you turn GPS permanently off?

I just saw a comment on a website where someone was complaining that he had to turn the GPS on the ZS7 off every time he powered on the camera.

Does anyone know if this is true or can it be set to be permanently off?
rjansson is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 25, 2010, 9:56 AM   #2

Yes...hit the Q-Menu button navigate to the GPS setting and set to off or you can go into the main menu and set to off...easily done...three optins are available Off - On - Travel Mode (An Airplane Icon denotes this setting)
LTZ470 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2010, 10:07 AM   #3

He claimed you had to do that every time you powered up. I find it hard to believe that Panasonic would do that. I only want to use the GPS on rare occasions.
rjansson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2010, 10:30 AM   #4

Yes the same for me I only use it at certain times...it is handy if you travel alot and I am also going snorkeling in the carribean and will turn it on then as it will be fun to go back to those coordinates in Microsoft Globe with the family...

The GPS on the ZS7 is very accurate...especially if you go to the Travel Menu and then update the GPS in the Info section...
Old Aug 26, 2010, 1:17 PM   #5

Once it's set to OFF, it stays like that even if you turn the camera off. At least that's how my ZS7 behaves. Now, mine is at F/W 1.0. Maybe the F/W changed that.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2010, 1:28 PM   #6

I haven't done it as many folks could not see/tell any difference...if mine takes good pictures I leave it, even the ZS3 had two F/W updates then most folks are going back to the original F/w...I guess the old adage applies: If it ain't broke...don't fix it

http://panasonic.jp/support/global/c...ZS7/index.html

According to Panasonic:
">1. Improved stability on start-up
2. Optimization of Light amount for INON external flash(S-2000/D-2000/Z-240)
[Attention]
Soon after the firmware update terminated, GPS location name information, which displayed in Recording Mode, shall be initialized. There is no influence to taken photos by "positioning" <"
Old Aug 26, 2010, 6:54 PM   #7

I totally agree. Unless the F/W upgrade resolves a main issue (i.e. improved AF speed or AF accuracy or AUTO WB,...), I tend to leave it alone. What the heck is "improve stability on startup" anyway?!? I never had any problems during start up. No crashes, funny noises, nothing. So, no F/W 1.1 for me. Most cameras won't let you go back to a previous F/W version once you upgrade it. So, I'm surprised by the fact that ZS3 users went back to the original FW.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote