Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Sep 5, 2010, 8:02 AM   #1
Default FZ18 broke...how does FZ50 compare? Please help...

I need to make a decision soon because I am in need now and running out of time. My old FZ18, which I absolutely LOVED, went out on me recently. I have been searching the market for a new camera and nothing seems to be absolutely standing out as being a possible next love. After seeing some of the p&s cameras, both past and present, on the market, I really fell in love with the idea of having a manual zoom ring. I actually never even knew that existed in a p&s before. I spent the last several days playing around with and trying out a new Fuji with zoom and focus rings, but have been unhappy with it's noise (even by tweaking ISO and other settings) and it's speed. I mainly take pics of my 2 and 4 year old, very active girls and I find the Fuji can't keep up with them. My old FZ18 on the other hand rarely had noise that I could see and by using the indoor/outdoor sports settings I could keep up with them doing anything...bouncing on the trampoline, going down the slide, even mid-jump into the swimming pool shots. I was even satisfied with the video on the 18 (which is another thing, I do want a camera with video).

However, after playing with this Fuji, I do find that I do indeed love that zoom ring, so I would really like to find a camera that will perform both indoor with flash, and outdoor, and keep up with my kids' play without blurring them, but also have that zoom ring. I am not opposed to buying used right now, especially since I am in immediate need of a camera with a vaca and holidays coming up. Does the FZ50 perform at least equally as well as the FZ18? I know they are not the same thing, but what are the differences? I have found a 50 on sale right now for under $200 with a decent return policy and small warranty, so that is why I am thinking about it. Thoughts?

By the way, I am aware that the FZ35 has been recommended and am thinking about it as well. Although it is a much newer camera, I would be giving up the zoom ring...so pros and cons. Is it really that much better than the 50 (given the fact that I was extremely satisfied with the performance of my 18) that it is worth giving up another feature I really wanted? Also, if there are other cameras on the market that might fit my needs better, feel free to suggest.
jbmom06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 5, 2010, 10:32 AM   #2

The Fz-35 very clearly out performs the FZ-50 with ease in every aspect.

If you liked the FZ-18, you will love the FZ-35. If manual zoom is that important to you, then you should be shopping for a DSLR camera. However the cost will be 2.5 to 3 times the cost of a brand new FZ-300 at $300.00.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2010, 10:38 AM   #3

I'll second that - I love the FZ35

Have Fun - Be Nice - Don't Break Anything
Clint501 is offline   Reply With Quote