Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Oct 11, 2010, 1:26 PM   #11

Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post

I re-processed your photo for your inspection. Was that re-processed image any better in your opinion??

Sarah Joyce
Yes, of course it looks better, although I may say that you exagerated a little, I believe on purpose, for the sake of understanding what 'post prosessing' can do... In my album I stored a copy less 'prossessed'!

Last edited by kibaris; Oct 11, 2010 at 1:56 PM.
kibaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2010, 1:45 PM   #12

This is about the most I can do to the shot to give it a bit more pop without going HDR, I personally like natural colors personally over HDR. But there are better editors out there then me.
Attached Images
Super Frequent Flyer, no joke. Ex Patriot and loving it.
Canon Eos 60D, T1i/500D, Eos1, Eos 630, Olympus EPL-1, and a part time Pentax K-X shooter.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2010, 2:10 PM   #13
Super Moderator

i am not sure your focal length here, but your shutter speed is only 1/60, so if you were zoomed in at all, that will be pretty low, hence you have some softness. plus it just seems like the scene is not that punchy to start with, muted rock tones, etc.

so i am not sure exactly what you expected.

plus, going to your argument of "want to do more before photo is shot" vs "post processing", just keep in mind that no image is "au naturale" either the camera will do the processing, or you will. i myself prefer to leave little up to the camera and it myself so that I have total control.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2010, 2:40 PM   #14

I'd second what Hards said as well - once the camera has applied an adjustment, it's much harder to undo. That's why a lot of people leave it completely and shoot RAW.

Anyway, here's another edit - I used a couple of techniques to 'undo' the hard contrast - AutoHDR on 'Natural' to just remove a bit of the softness and get back the detail remaining in the shadows and highlights which the high contrast in camera will have pushed. Also compressed the midtones a bit, added a bit more saturation and tweaked the colour balance:

AutoHDR - Free HDR software for Windows at http://www.autohdr.co.uk on Facebook at http://www.facebook.com/home.php?sk=...36045126467361
My Flickr stream: http://www.flickr.com/photos/martinsykes
Panasonic DMC-FZ38, Sony ­α580
MartinSykes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2010, 7:08 PM   #15

Originally Posted by kibaris View Post
Thank you all, guys, for your soothing comments!
This photo was taken as follows:
auto WB
contrast hard
saturation high
sharpness hard
iso 80
shutter speed 1/60
EV +- 0
I think there was not a lot I could do before shooting... Ok, I know photoshop can do a lot to improove any picture, but I prefare to do more before capturing the picture...
Am I right?
Hi Alexander, thanks for the EXIF info.
Do you understand the relationship between aperture, shutter speed and ISO? If you don't there is a nice introductory article right here on this site.
I always try to get as much right as possible while taking the shot but realise no matter how well I take the shot it can always be improved with post processing. For your shot here I would have used a faster shutter speed by increasing the ISO setting to avoid blurring caused by camera shake or subject movement. I know it sounds odd to say "subject movement" when talking about your shot here as it's of a building but sometimes trees moving in the wind can make a shot look "soft".

I also agree with the posts made before about not straying too far from the camera's default setting when shooting JPEG.

I shoot mostly in Aperture Priority mode with the ISO set to Auto. Use small F numbers for a smaller depth of field for photos where you want a blurred background such as portraits. Use larger F numbers for a larger depth of field for photos such as landscapes. Try to keep the shutter speed high by upping the ISO but be careful of the extra noise that can become apparent with higher ISO settings.
arrowhead is offline   Reply With Quote