Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Oct 11, 2010, 1:27 PM   #1
Default Lumix FZ35 Lens ring came off!

Hello folks,
I wondered if anyone else has come across my problem with the otherwise great Lumix FZ35? I posted the following on dpreview and the only suggestion so far is to resort to epoxy resin.
The barrel ring into which filters etc are screwed has fallen off and I cannot fathom how it can be fixed back on. Thge problem has arissen, I am sure, because I was using a recently 1.7X Tele Converter Lens which probably put too much torque on the fitting. The rig wasn't dropped I hasten to add.
The threaded metal ring is held i place by a plastic ring - with Leica etc on it. The three lugs that I thought would hold the plastic ring to the barrel and secure the threaded lens ring do not lock into place. Has anyone out there got a solution to this problem? Has it happened to anyone else using the Tele Converter Lens? I can see no evidence of adhesive being used to secure the metal or plastic rings during assembly.
Any help would be greatly appreciated. My ever-helpful wife suggested that used duct tape!!
Any others suggestions would be greatly appreciated. The camera is out of warrenty - just.
Many thanks
BobFoskett is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 11, 2010, 5:12 PM   #2

I am sorry to hear about your problem, Bob-

It sounds like the problem was caused by the added 1.7X converter. This is the first time I have ever heard of this occurring, and I have owned every FZ model produced. I think that the epoxy glue is your best solution.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2010, 7:59 PM   #3

I have read somewhere that for using telephoto lenses, you need to have the original Panasonic metal adapter DMW-LA3. If you can get that, I think that will solve your problem.
Raghu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2010, 9:34 AM   #4
Default Thanks

I have come to the same conclusion regarding both the reason for the ring falling off and the way that it can be fixed. The 1.7X Converter is quite heavy and the greater part of the mass is quite a way from the screw thread thus creating excessive torque - just shows taht you have to be careful using this sort of "extra" with such a light camera. That said, it seems to give very good results in getting good pictures of small subjects such as birds - my main subject area. For those that might be interested, the conversion lens is an Olympus 45.6-55 1.7X and you do need a small adaptor for it to be to be fixed to the Lumiz FZ35. Together they make a wonderful rig for bird photography - no more lugging about an SLR and "big lens" for me. Of course that'll be the case once the epoxy resin glue has set!
BobFoskett is offline   Reply With Quote