Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Nov 24, 2010, 8:11 AM   #1
Default Settings advice for Holiday Picture's

I'm thinking about taking pictures at the beach of my three kids and use them to send it out to family and friends for the holidays. What settings do I use to get the "whole" image sharp and not just the center focused. I want all of the kids to be in focus and perhaps the background too.... I'll also take some shots with the background blurred as well. Or should I just switch to the face recognition setting ?............In other words, I'm looking for the entire image to be "in focus"....All suggestions would be appreciated.
anthony_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 24, 2010, 1:26 PM   #2

u need to play with aperture F[number]. a lower F2.8 or F3.0 will produce sharp picture of the focus object and blur everything else. higher F7.0 or more will sharpen the whole picture a lot.
flyhigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2010, 11:40 AM   #3

Taking pictures on the beach can be tricky (specially in bright sunny days) due to light reflection on the sand. Images can easily have blown highlights and subjects may appear dark. Most cameras have a "Beach" scene mode, which will adjust the settings to handle the condition. If you're shooting DSLR, setting the aperture to f11 will give you good corner-to-corner sharpness and great DoF. Shooting P&S, you can't go that high as P&S usually go up to f8. However, I'd keep to f5.6 because an f8 on a P&S is equivalent to f16+ in DSLR terms and may cause diffraction.

Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote