Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Dec 23, 2010, 11:16 AM   #1
Default Furies of nature (I didn't shoot these)

I didn't shoot these but I wanted to share them with you. Last summer, the Angeles National Forrest just north of Los Angeles was hit by the Station Wildfire. It burned 160,000 acres (65,000 ha) coming very close to homes and businesses but only lost less than 100 homes thanks to the great efforts of our firemen. Here is a picture taken by an anonymous photographer showing the fire at night. The buildings in the foreground belong to the NASA Jet Propulsion Laboratory (where I work). It came within 1/2 a mile from our home but we were OK.

The worse damage turned out to be the mudslides caused by rain falling on the bare hillside, a problem which will persist for years to come. Six months after the fire during a heavy rain storm, severe mudslide wiped out many homes. The following photo is a screen capture of a video my friend shot from her front yard. What you see is actually a street covered by mud, debris, trees, cars and worthless barriers that are getting washed down the street. My friend's house was spared. We just had a record rain fall which lasted a week, but thanks to all the preparation done by the city, so far no damage in this neighborhood.

saly is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 23, 2010, 11:50 PM   #2

This was all caused by the dams that were built .. if they had known would they of built them? They threw the world of its normal course when they started to re build and control the waters be on your guard for the worse.. Find higher ground.. Earth is shifting faster now that the dams are built and they fill with water and regulate the flow..... WE still have a lot of flooding mud slides around here in Washington... you can check out some of the shots local here at http://www.kitsapsun.com/...
SharpShotGal is offline   Reply With Quote