Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jan 8, 2011, 4:23 PM   #11
Super Moderator

Still looks quite wide and when shooting close you will get this effect due to you being closer to the bottom than the top of the objects.
Any problems with a post or thread please use the report button at the bottom left of the post and the team will help sort it out.

Have fun everyone!

See what I'm up to visit my Plymouth Wedding Photography
site or go to my blog.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2011, 5:23 PM   #12

I know the FZ35 has a greater wide angle then the FZ20 and perhaps I just need to get used to not using the wide so much. I just wish it would default on start up to 40mm not at 27mm. Here are some more controlled shots I just took from no zoom to 2x then 4x! The distortion seems to have gone away at 2x and remains good through the whole zoom! The last is another wide up close again.
Something I just have to get used to I suppose!
Attached Images
outofline99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2011, 6:05 PM   #13

I have the impression that using these long zooms often means barrel distortion on one end and/or pincushion on the other. I think Panasonic addressed some of this on their software. My FZ35 handles the problem much better than my Tamron 27-270 on my canon SLR, and we won't go into how much that lens cost.

My Photoshop CS3 can correct most of these lens "distortions" with a filter by that name. I conducted a quick check and apparently the latest version of Photoshop Elements includes this filter. Perhaps someone with that program can confirm my understanding that it is included.

LarryInVa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2011, 6:45 PM   #14

Yes PSE does, Larry-

And you can also address the problem easily, by doing a manual adjustment using perspective adjustment.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2011, 8:39 PM   #15

Here are a couple others that this wide angle distortion messed my shot up a bit!
Attached Images
outofline99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2011, 1:20 AM   #16

This distortion always happen when The 'back' of the camera (the 'film') is not absolutely vertical. Simple physics. Just play with the camera, rise the camera to photogrph a high building, and you see the 'vertical' walls having a vanishing point. The closer you are to the building The higher you rise the camera and the effect is exagerated. It has nothing to do with focal length or distance from the subject but only with the verticcality of the camera. On the other hand, that is the way human eye receives the images, but the brain expects it and handles it so that we are not surprised. Don't forget that horizontals have a vanishing point, but you don't bother!
Don't worry, try to keep the camera as vertical as you can, correct the distortion with a bit post prossesing, or even better use the effect to your benefit producing strong dramatic photographs!

Last edited by kibaris; Jan 9, 2011 at 1:36 AM.
kibaris is offline   Reply With Quote