Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jan 25, 2011, 8:22 AM   #1
Default FZ100 + Extending arm monopod = what setting?

Trying to figure this one out.
I just got back from a cruise with my wife. My arm wasn't long enough to take those impromtu shots of both of us together with some background included and I hated to keep bugging people to take a picture of us with my camera so I looked for a solution and found this.

The question is, what camera setting to use? They say just set your camera to self timer. In theroy that sounds right, set the camera on self timer, focus and press the button, extend the monopod arm out, wait for the picture to take. The problem is I'm in the wrong spot when focusing and pressing the button on the camera.
I guess what I am looking for is a way for the camera to keep aquiring focus after the button is pushed.

Maybe I just need a remote shutter or some fancy footwork (stand about the right distance away to take the shot, press the button, get into the shot, extend the arm and wait)

And on another note.. Do I even need this? I already have a monopod. I'm thinking there must be some kind of attachment to put on it that would let me have the camera at an angle to face me.
ddandb is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 25, 2011, 8:40 AM   #2
Super Moderator

I'm personally a gorilla pod fan, for me it works better as I can get it further away from me.... however there isn't always something to put it on (rarely but that is the case sometimes).

As for settings you could go for the ideas you mention of guessing the distance, it won't be far out and unless shooting a dSLR you will have more than enough dof at all settings. Having a remote is best if possible as you don't need to mess around with focus so much.
Any problems with a post or thread please use the report button at the bottom left of the post and the team will help sort it out.

Have fun everyone!

See what I'm up to visit my Plymouth Wedding Photography
site or go to my blog.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote