Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Feb 20, 2011, 2:53 AM   #1
Default Agra - Part 3

Actually, this series is a little away from Agra - 45 km, the area known as Fatehpur Sikri, built by Akbar in honour of Saint Salim Chisti who predicted the birth of a male child to Akbar. You should take into account that this is two generations prior to Taj Mahal, and marble edifices had not appeared yet at that time. This is the first planned city of the Mughal empire and Mughal architecture, a combination of Indian, Persian and Islamic styles.

It is a pity that the place that took 14 years to build had to be abandoned in almost equal time, because it could not be sustained with supplies for natural and political reasons.

Happy to share a few photos:

The Buland Darwaza, one of the largest gates: (the hanging things you see inside the dome are honeycombs!)

The Jama Masjid:

The building that Akbar used as his secretariat:

An arch leading to the view of Buland Darwaza:

The tomb of Saint Salim Chisti, the only marble structure in this compound:

The panch mahal, or five-storeyed building:

A fine example of marble carving:

A few more photographs are there in my flickr album http://www.flickr.com/photos/raghu_a...57625930959801. The history of Fatehpur Sikri is described in http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fatehpur_Sikri.

I would appreciate your comments. Please also let me know if I am posting too much too soon.

Raghu is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 21, 2011, 2:31 AM   #2

Raghu, these have been really wonderful images of very impressive stonework. I look at all the intricate carvings and structures (like the 5 story building) and remind myself that these are all carved out of stone. Amazing.
saly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2011, 6:22 AM   #3

Incredible architecture - well captured and thanks for sharing them!

Sony NEX-5, Panasonic fz40
BackyardPermaculture is offline   Reply With Quote