Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Mar 1, 2011, 10:00 AM   #1
Default FZ35 - backyard birds, Mar 1

Early morning, good sun (perhaps too much), and a few birds. The Woodpecker and Cardinal that I really wanted chose to absent themselves after I got set up. Some Chickadees and Finches did return. Nothing special here - just keep trying.

These were shot with a tripod, and 18X, P mode.

Wild Turkey came into the scene -- posted in another thread.
Attached Images
roger53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 1, 2011, 10:56 AM   #2

Your camera seems to be perfectly focused on the feeder.... Did you try point focus? If the birds are moving too fast, try a faster shutter speed.

The last one looks good.
saly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2011, 11:43 AM   #3

Roger53 – This looks like my backyard - White-breasted nuthatch, gold finch, red finch and the chickadee. My favorite is #5 with the chickadee. Have been trying to get shots of birds at my feeders and I know it’s tough. If there is any wind blowing at all it is your enemy. I think Saly’s suggestion of spot focus and a faster shutter is a good one. If #5 is not already cropped, you could try and crop just the chickadee and see if the image holds together.

Looking forward to future posts.

Last edited by jjdog2; Mar 1, 2011 at 12:15 PM.
jjdog2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2011, 12:23 PM   #4

Roger, looks like you have a wonderful "bird buffet" in your yard. I agree on trying to crop out the chickadee in the last photo. Keep posting
laurel99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2011, 9:00 AM   #5

A couple from this morning. This bird looks to have a major problem with one eye.

Since I was having trouble with spot focus, I tried Manual Focus. I'm not sure I did better. The joystick is so sensitive, it hard to find the "sweet spot."

Yes, we do have quite a selection in our backyard, about 12 feet from the house. I was hoping to get some shots of the squirrels that frequent the feeding area, but they are too skitterish to pose for me. We see them 5-6 feet outside our window, and they are OK with that. But, being outside in person is a different matter. Likewise with the deer. Last evening, at dusk, seven deer were in the same area, one of them trying to eat from the feeder 5-6 feet away. She was fully aware of us watching from inside, but will not tolerate us being outside.
Attached Images
roger53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2011, 9:10 AM   #6

Nice shots, Roger

Excellent work.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2011, 10:13 AM   #7

That eye problem is called House Finch Eye Disease its highly contagious and is spread when the birds feed from the seed ports and rub their eyes on the feeder.
If you want (should) take the feeder down for a few days to disperse the sick birds and wash it thoroughly.
You should try to clean your feeders periodically.
leftyman is offline   Reply With Quote