Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Mar 5, 2011, 3:34 PM   #11

Sarah, I was not being critical of the sky/cloud, The "excellent grasp and control of PS" was aimed at the foreground, I never manage to keep control light and dark areas as you achieved here.

Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post
Square One-

That was done on the fly and the horizon does not really blend into the clouds properly. I apologize. As I teach Photoshop, I should be more patient and take my time.

Sarah Joyce
Square one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2011, 5:24 PM   #12

Great shots. I love the squirrel.

As for pic 4 -

PP wise, there's not much you can do, except as Sarah has done and replace the sky.

Shooting wise - what you've done is pretty well all you can do. Aim at the ground and blow out (over expose) the sky.

Maybe you could try shooting at a different time of day or shoot with your back to the sun or you could even try your hand at creating a HDR image.
aka : Noobie shooting wildly with a FZ100

My Flickr

Joe Bananas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2011, 8:17 PM   #13

Square One-

What you do is handle the photo as two images. First, I selected the foreground and worked on that. Then, I copied my foreground selection and pasted the foreground on to my clouds, and cropped the two photos into a single photo. I keep a whole folder of nothing but cloud photos that already pre processed and ready for use.

Sarah Joyce

Joe Bananas-

Both of your selections are excellent. Or the alternative is to keep a folder of already pre-processed cloud photos, as I described to Square One above.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2011, 8:31 PM   #14

Ash - they are very nice. On cloudy/foggy days, try the "cloudy" white balance. It helps bring out some color.
saly is offline   Reply With Quote