Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Apr 29, 2011, 3:10 AM   #1
Default Looking at getting the FZ45 or Fz100

I'm looking at getting the Fz45 or the Fz100.

I know they are very similar, but I like the movable viewer screen and the hotshoe on the fz100 but is it really worth the extra money?

Any comments would be much appreciated.

stevetracey is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 29, 2011, 4:13 AM   #2

The FZ45 and FZ100 use a different type of image sensor. The FZ100's sensor is designed for high speed shooting and video which unfortunately has an impact on image quality. Most will agree that the FZ45 has less noise in it's images.
I too was drawn toward the FZ100 for it's hotshoe but coming from a DSLR I could not put up with the noise in it's images. I quite often shoot at ISO400 so it had to be the FZ45 for me. If you will be shooting in good light all the time the FZ100 may be fine for you. Check out the images on here and Flickr from both cameras. If the image quality had been the same between the two cameras I would have definitely paid the extra for the FZ100.

The FZ line of cameras are usually updated every 12 months with the new cameras announced in late July. If there is to be a replacement for the FZ100 with the same features it has now but with image quality to match or exceed the FZ45 I will buy it. I really hope I am wrong but I have a feeling there will be little or no improvement in image quality and all Panasonic will do is put an overcrowded 16 megapixel sensor in it and add a touch screen.
arrowhead is offline   Reply With Quote