Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jul 16, 2011, 6:41 PM   #1
Default Leica V-Lux 30 & Panasonic ZS10 - confused

I have in front of me a side-by-side comparison and they are IDENTICAL! The only difference is in the picture of the body. Is the Leica really better -- by double the price? I really need to know. I have read bad reviews of the Panasonic, and no real reviews of the V-Lux, and need this type of camera ASAP. Please help me!! Image quality is the most important thing. I need a pocket camera with a long zoom and the best image quality FOR THIS TYPE OF CAMERA. I have a DSLR and several other cameras, but none that I can just tote everywhere.
phototie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 17, 2011, 4:14 PM   #2

The only difference is the firmware. Many Leica P&S are exactly the same model of some Panas, the price difference is only for the red badge .

For a pocket camera, I'd go with the Canon ones, S95 is one of the best popular portables, also, the SX series are very good, SX130 isn't that portable but has an incredible IQ, there's the SX230 also, i never shot with it, but it seems as good as the SX130 and a little more portable.

The ZS10 is a good option only if you're going to capture movies and shoot macros.
Electrolyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2011, 10:29 AM   #3

I just bought a zs10 for my wife. It is a good pocket camera, but not excellent. I have come to accept ththat for a long zoom you are going to sacrifice some things. The zs10 will produce great shots in some circumstances, but is very finicky in others. Any shadows or dark makes it really not good, in good light it is pretty good. We just returned from vacation and I need to review the pictures but it has earned it's place, but not as a replacement for my Canon 7D (which my wife hates).
waoldrifleman is offline   Reply With Quote