Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jul 24, 2011, 8:37 PM   #1
Default OT question

I have an opportunity to enter photos in a contest by a local business, photos to be used for a 2012 calendar. I have so many images that I will have a hard time sorting through them. In some cases, a single image may work just fine. In other cases, perhaps a layout of three, four or five images may work.

The information says the image must be 11.625X8.5 inches, minimum of 300 dpi. I presume that any proportioned image will meet the shape requirement.

My simple question: How can I make a new image out of a couple of other images? In other words, if I choose three images and make a layout, how can I output the newly created image?

There are no mentions of acceptable files, only that they be submitted electronically. Will PhotoShop do this job, and output a .jpg or .pdf file that I can submit? I use Picasa for all my local photo management. It does not have any features of assembling multiple images into a single picture. It does have a collage feature, but I have no choice on locations and sizes.

Any suggestions? Due date is Aug 15, so I need to get moving.

roger53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 25, 2011, 2:57 PM   #2

Hi Roger

The easiest way I think is to use Photoshop or Light Room.

Both of these programs have what are called 'layers' where if you place one picture per layer you will be able to move them around to your hearts content.

Both programs (as far as I know, will allow you to save the final image in most commonly used file formats. While you are composing the picture, I would save using 'PSD Photoshop document format' which keeps all the layer information intact.

I would also check out what file format the contest organizers want for the final image.
Square one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2011, 8:38 PM   #3

Sq 1:

Thanks for that response. I do have Photoshop, but not loaded. Your suggestion in getting confirmation from the organizers is a good one. I have until Aug 15, but want to get started now.

In the meantime, I did some experimenting with Picasa and the collage feature. I've learned that much of what I wanted to do is included in the feature set. I had done some experimenting earlier, but without the success I wanted.

I've never entered contests like this before. I have no idea what might be appealing to the judges. I've made my own calendar and my only critics were those getting a copy as a gift (hard to be critical when holding a gift in hand!).

This is one of my experiments. I just used some shots of a chipmunk that I took yesterday. The layout, number of images, border, and background color are my choices.

If I believe I should be able to better, I will load Photoshop. But, I'm not having much time to learn a new program. I do want to make greeting cards, and I understand the PS has features to make cards. So, I may wish to take the time for learning a new software.

Attached Images
roger53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2011, 1:37 AM   #4

Nice arrangement - I never knew there was a collage feature in Picasa.

Sony NEX-5, Panasonic fz40
BackyardPermaculture is offline   Reply With Quote