Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Aug 24, 2011, 10:15 PM   #1
Default SD Card for Pana FZ1v.2: Max Size, Max Class?

I still use the Panasonic Lumix FZ1v.2. I want a faster SD card. What is the fastest class card that this camera will accept, and the max size? (I currently have a 2GB class 4 and would like something faster to help with lag-time.) Thanks!
nmastae is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 25, 2011, 7:37 AM   #2

Your camera was first introduced in 2002; and the v2 firmware makes it behave more like the DMC-FZ2, which was introduced in 2003.

But, the specifications for SDHC cards were not finalized until years later in 2006.

As a result, your camera is going to be limited to 2GB or smaller SD cards (it's not going to work with SDHC Cards).

Your camera model has a 4 frame internal buffer (faster internal memory). Card Speed will make no difference until this buffer is full (after 4 photos in rapid succession).

Then (after the 4 frame internal buffer of faster memory is full), the camera is going to slow down to the speed it can write to a memory card.

But, sometimes the camera is the bottleneck, not the speed of the card. So, you may not see any speed increase by going to a faster card (sometimes, you'll see a limited write speed, no matter how fast of card you use in some of the older camera models like that, because the hardware processing speed is the limiting factor). My guess is that you'll find that to be the case (little to no benefit going to a faster card with your camera if you already have a Class 4 from a major manufacturer).
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote