Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Aug 27, 2011, 8:43 AM   #1
Default FZ-38, can't get consistent red colour when snapping my car?

The following pics were all taken with the same camera, same settings, same day! The first one best represents the colour of the car, bright/deep red, the others look faded and pink.

Any idea how I can get this consistently right? I'm very much an unskilled point and shoot man but should be able to dial in some settings with some guidance?

This one looks pretty realistic on my screen:

These look more orangy then red!

Cheers for any help

Brick_Top is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 27, 2011, 9:46 AM   #2

if you leave colour adjustment to auto, then cam will play with colour. if you want consistent colour in a certain situation, set colouring mode to something stationary. best would be to set white balance [custom white balance] before starting to shoot.

just get a clean white paper and set the white balance of your cam, as per the on screen dialogues appear in camera screen. you should calibrate this white balance every time the environmental lighting changes though.
flyhigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2011, 2:45 PM   #3

Welcome Brick_Top, I agree with flyhigh but other than white balance, play with the saturation setting in your camera!
Perhaps your car in the second shot is like this?:

DMC-FZ150 & Hoya HD UV Filter + DMC-FZ45 & Hoya HMC UV(C) Filter - Macro & Tele Kit (DMW-LC55 + DMW-LT55 + DMW-LA5) - Benro A-197EX + HD-18 & Manfrotto MKC3-H01 Tripods & MMC3-02 + 234RC Monopod
catalex54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2011, 5:02 PM   #4

I can't help but nice car
Pentax K-r & Panasonic Fz-72 http://www.flickr.com/photos/darren_healy/
Forzahibs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2011, 10:31 AM   #5

I think it may be the angle that you are shooting and the white balance if you have it on auto maybe sometimes its not correct so try to change the white balance to a different value and see if the result is to your likings
Picasa album for closer look https://picasaweb.google.com/geoper2...6r8Pnh5qjyiwE#
geoper2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2011, 11:04 AM   #6

My TZ1, and my sons FZ7 would always do this with certian colors of red. I think its just a panasonic thing, one of many reasons I went to Canon this time around.
Steve Owen.
Cameras: Canon G12, and A1200. Sony DSC-H90. Fuji HS35EXR.
"A true photograph need not be explained, nor can it be contained in words".
Steve40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2011, 11:12 AM   #7

My two cents...

Your cars are incredibly clean and very shiny. I think the shiny part is a contributor to your concern.

If a person were to try an photograph a mirror, the image would not be of the mirror, it would be a photo of what is reflected in the mirror.

Because the finish of the car is shiny, that means it's also reflective. Each angle of the shape of the body of the car reflects toward a different object, so the reflected objects are making the reds appear to be different. That's also part of the reason cars are painted in spray paint booths where the light is consistent and reflections are minimized.

If you're really wanting to take shots of the car, then maybe stage a photo session in a automotive paint booth?

Faithfully yours,
FaithfulPastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2011, 2:57 PM   #8

...or you may use a polarizing filter to minimize reflections, so the real color comes out. To me though, your photographs look pretty well, and the color is absolutely red!
panasonic fz38, no lenses so far...
kibaris is offline   Reply With Quote