Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Oct 14, 2011, 8:01 PM   #1
Default Rough weather Great Lakes ships

I was out and about today and saw some freighters in kind of close. The weather was gloomy, wet, and very windy. Hardly ideal conditions for shooting some photos of ships. With that said, I think the FZ35 handled the situation admirably. Then again, I'm not a professional so I can't be too sure. Anyway, on to the photos (and video)!

I'll link this first. It is a short video I took with my FZ35. You can kind of see how rough it was, and hear how windy it was. I took this off the same breakwall that I took the photos of the Pathfinder off of about a week ago.

If you want to know more about the ship I mentioned, just clink the name.

In this photo there is an unknown vessel heading downbound (south) on Lake Huron. By looking at what superstructure is visible I am lead to believe it is the Lee A. Tregurtha. If that is the ship I think it is, it is one of my favorites. I only wish I could have seen it sooner.

In these next photos you can see the Interlake Steamship Co. vessel Paul R. Tregurtha. It is one of the 1000 footers that sail the Lakes. I believe it is the Paul R. Tregurtha, but it may be one of her two other sisters - the James R. Barker or Mesabi Miner. They are nearly identical, so it is really hard to tell. I think it is the Paul R. Tregurtha because the name on the full size photos match the dimensions more close to that.

If it is indeed the Paul R. Tregurtha it was featured on an episode of the Science Channel's show Mighty Ships.

In these next two photos you see the Algoma Central Corp. vessel Algorail. In the first photo you can see the waves crash against the bow.

This is just a widescreen shot of the two freighters as they head upbound (north) on Lake Huron.

Later in the day I saw still another freighter sailing by. It was hard to see because it had just finished raining quite good. It looked rather hazy/misty over the Lake. This ship is the American Steamship Co. vessel Adam E. Cornelius. It, too, was heading upbound (north). You can see the waves crashing against the bow here, too.

I hope you liked these photos! Someday I hope I can get some real closeups.
JayC_783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 15, 2011, 10:17 AM   #2

Nice ones JayC. I think you are having a lot of fun with the FZ35 and that what this sport is all about.

jjdog2 is offline   Reply With Quote