Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Nov 16, 2011, 12:29 PM   #1
Default Underwater Macro for Lumix DMC-TS3

The Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS3 has two underwater modes, 0-40ft and 40ft+. It also has a separate Macro switch for non-underwater photos.

If want to shoot underwater macro, such as objects in a coral reef, which setting should be used? Should I use the underwater mode or the non-underwater macro mode? I haven't tested this out yet and would appreciate some feedback.
ApolloX is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 17, 2011, 10:49 AM   #2

Trying this is the only way to go. I'm guessing that the underwater modes will apply some colour correction to compensate for the lost colour at depth. If you can get really close your built in strobe may work without giving too much backscatter, this depends on the water conditions as well as the camera and strobe. If you're using the strobe then the macro mode is likely to be the best option as the the strobe puts back the missing colours and you don't want or need the camera over correcting.

The good thing about digital is you can review your results as you go so if you can find a stationary subject you can try various settings and see which gives the best results.

The cardinal rule of underwater photography is get close. your pictures will always be better if you can minimize the amount of water between the camera and the subject.

Nagasaki is offline   Reply With Quote