Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Dec 4, 2011, 9:42 AM   #1
Default Would a CMOS sensor have prevented this?

Last night our town had its annual Christmas parade. I took my FZ35 to record it. I stood outside as long as possible, because it started to rain pretty good. Anyway, when recording and then when reviewing the video when I got back home, I could see vertical lines caused by the lights of the various emergency vehicles in the parade. I expected this since the FZ35 has a CCD sensor. What I'm wondering is, would the CMOS sensor of, say, the FZ150 have prevented that?
JayC_783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 4, 2011, 2:57 PM   #2

G'day JayC

unlikely - it is a function of the sensor with the pixels being set in a cross-pattern of rows and columns - and when a bright shaft of light is detected, it is recorded as such

I have had 1/2 dozen different cameras and occasionally have found similar results from time to time

Regards, Phil
Has Fuji & Lumix superzoom cameras and loves their amazing capabilities
Google me at Travelling School of Photography Australia
Recent images at http://www.flickr.com/photos/ozzie_traveller/sets/
Ozzie_Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2011, 8:40 PM   #3

Thanks for the reply. Is there anything that can be done to reduce the effect? It was night when the parade was going on and raining pretty good. It wasn't until I got home again, that I thought maybe I could have used the lens hood. Would that have made a difference?

Since I had to retreat to the car because of the rain the video is in two parts. However, the whole thing makes up about 1GB. I'd upload at least part of the video, so I can show the effect, if it wasn't so big.
JayC_783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2011, 9:24 PM   #4

Here's a down-sized sample from my FZ35. I believe it was generated by the stadium lights at a local stadium.

Can see it at about the 50 second mark of this video excerpt, and again at the very end - vertical purple lines.

Nikon D600, D90, D70, N90s, FM2, Canon S3 1S, Panasonic FZ35; Nikon 18-105 VR, 28-70 2.8 Sigma, 35-70 Nikkor, 70-200 2.8 Sigma, 70-300 4-5.6 Sigma, 85 1.8D Nikkor, 55-300 4-5.6 Nikkor, Sigma 17-50 2.8.
Franko170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2011, 1:12 AM   #5

Yes, I believe that a CMOS based camera would have avoided this problem as it is a known issue when using video on a CCD sensor. i.e. CCDs displays vertical streaks from a light source.

Whilst CMOS will avoid this, it suffers from its own set of issues though: The Rolling shutter problem.

There is quite a lot of detail avialable on the web on this very subject:
i.e. http://coldstreams.com/video/?p=348
dbnnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2011, 6:08 AM   #6

Very precisely, yeah it would have. CMOS don't have that problem.

However, yes it has a million other issues for bridge level cameras so it's a fair price to pray ( :P )
'Make your pixels speak'

In a relationship with a Panasonic Fz40
Hama Macro Filters (+1, +2, +4)

xHassan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2011, 10:11 AM   #7

My cmos based camera has not this problem.
redwee is offline   Reply With Quote