Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Feb 15, 2012, 8:47 AM   #1
Default Gol Gumbaz

Gol Gumbaz in Bijapur, Karnataka, India is a gigantic monument and a masterpiece of Islamic architecture. Mausoleum of Mohammed Adil Shah, the Seventh Sultan of Adil Shahi dynasty, this is a unique structure. A square building rising to seven floors has one of the world's largest unsupported domes sitting on top, covering the largest area under a dome in the world. Not only that, the circular platform at the base of the dome is known for its whispering gallery - in absolute silence, you can hear the tick of a wristwatch at the other side of the circle. Legend has it that the rulers used this to eavesdrop on unsuspecting royal visitors. If a tick or a whisper can be heard at the opposite end clearly, louder sounds echo several times for several seconds. It is an unique experience to undergo and cherish its memories for ever. A few photos:

The approach. Note that there is a different building in front that houses a museum.

The first view. The minaret-like structures on both sides are actually landings for stairs that have been built at the corners of the square building.

The lovely art work on the wall, up close:

A view of the narrow stairs built at the corner, opening into a balcony on each floor, on all four corners of the monument.

A typical view from the balcony.

Once you reach the top, the way opens to the outside of the dome, with beautiful petal like patterns all around, eight of them giving a narrow entry into the dome.

A 'stitched' view of the base platform, called the 'whispering gallery', it required three shots to get all areas into this frame.

Replica of Mohammed Adil Shah's tomb on ground floor (real one is in the basement), as seen from the base of the dome.

A view of the entrance (museum) building and the garden, as seen from the top, outside the dome:

My wife enjoying the strong breeze on top:

The tomb (replica), from ground level:

Straining your neck, you can have a full view of the dome and the parapet of the platform - look at the tiny heads peeping down.

Well, that's it, I think. Not many foreign visitors make it to Bijapur, since it is not situated on the trunk routes serving the metro cities. If you have friends who might be interested in looking at these, please forward to them.

Just a few more pictures can be seen at http://www.flickr.com/photos/raghu_a...7629099093345/

Raghu is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 15, 2012, 11:14 AM   #2

Impressive array of splendid artistic heritage of your country Raghu!! Thank for sharing
DMC-FZ150 & Hoya HD UV Filter + DMC-FZ45 & Hoya HMC UV(C) Filter - Macro & Tele Kit (DMW-LC55 + DMW-LT55 + DMW-LA5) - Benro A-197EX + HD-18 & Manfrotto MKC3-H01 Tripods & MMC3-02 + 234RC Monopod
catalex54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2012, 8:11 PM   #3

Very nice building, when i see this kind of structures i feel amazed by their size and detail. But i think the best for me is that you walk on there barefoot, it makes you one with the ground.
Picasa album for closer look https://picasaweb.google.com/geoper2...6r8Pnh5qjyiwE#
geoper2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2012, 8:29 PM   #4

Wow, what a fantastic place and architectural accomplishment!!! You have capture it perfectly and we are so lucky to have the opportunity to see it! Thank you for sharing.

Panasonic FZ150, FZ35 and GF1; Nikonos V when underwater

~~Art is in the eye of the camera holder~~
saly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2012, 2:01 PM   #5

Beautiful building and very well taken! Thanks for sharing.

Comments and suggestions for improvement welcome and appreciated.
jjdog2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2012, 1:17 PM   #6

Excellent series. What an impressive piece of architecture. I imagine one can spend all day wondering around to cover the whole thing!

Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote