Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Mar 9, 2012, 2:29 PM   #1
Default NOT a pretty picture

JimC suggested that I post a picture in hopes I can learn what is happening that should not be happening, possibly in my settings.

This was my previous/first post being posted again.

I've had my camera for several years, but have not really gotten past the "simple" mode. The pictures have always been nice and clear, notice the past tense. I need some expertise in regards to a very weird happening. I re-set to factory settings (which I learned from this site). No help.

The pictures are coming out as though the pixels are slightly ajar, not smooth. If I reduce the picture to quite small they look better, but then of course, they are too small to enjoy. The flowers look fuzzy. This was set on e-mail size 640X480 pixels.

I'm not computer challenged, but that's probably because I've been technically raised on a Mac. I find the new technology fascinating, though I don't own any of the newer devices. I seek help when I need it, and I need it now.

The description above about my camera is a new phenomenon.

Attached Images
Trish9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 9, 2012, 3:28 PM   #2

G'day Trish

Welcome aboard the photo express ....... !

For me / us to best answer your Qs, we need a bit more info from you ~ as the above image is only 640px wide, it is very hard to judge what an ex-camera image is like

Can you help out with
1- camera model
2- size in pixels of each ex-camera image [just the long side pixels will do]
3- the jpg image quality settings currently in use [see camera menu]

Looking fwd to talking again soon :-)
Regards, Phil
Has Fuji & Lumix superzoom cameras and loves their amazing capabilities
Google me at Travelling School of Photography Australia
Recent images at http://www.flickr.com/photos/ozzie_traveller/sets/
Ozzie_Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2012, 4:10 PM   #3

youre in very safe hands trisha. phil is the resident tog oracle. and dont worry about that vase
fz100 user
FITCIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2012, 7:37 PM   #4

Hi Trish

I am going to take a shot here. I do not have the Fz-7. But looking at the manual. I believe you have the camera set for email size which is the lowest quality picture you can take with the camera. You are using the [SIMPLE MODE]. Press the [Menu/set] button. look for [PICT Mode] and change it from [Email] to [Enlarge]. [Enlarge] is the best setting the camera has and [email] is the lowest setting it has. In [email mode] your pictures are 0.3 megapixels out of a 6 megapixel camera. So your pictures are really pixilated. The other setting is [4 x 6] which is your typical snap shot size. I would use either [4 x 6] or [enlarge], either one should help your pictures.
This information is on page 29 of the manual.

If you don't have the manual here is the link to it.

I hope this helps lets us know if this worked.

Panasonic FZ-100, FZ-150, LX5, LX7, Pentax K-x & K-5, Bower Flash, FA-50 1.7,FA-100 2.8, FA-135 2.8, DA-35 2.4,DA-18-135 3.5,DA Limited 15 4, DA Limited 70 2.4, DAL 18-55, DAL 55-300, Pentax 1.7 Teleconverter, Sigma 70-200 2.8
popellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2012, 11:12 AM   #5

You know what Mark, I'm pretty sure you're onto the answer.

I bet my "email" sized photos have always looked this pixilated and I never realized it. When I looked back at the photos that were larger they were, indeed, much better. Since I normally only look at the pictures via the camera review, it wasn't until I wanted to send a couple of photos to someone that I noticed my faux pas. Thanks very much for your insight.

To be sure, I will include more information the next time Ozzie Traveller; thank you too, for your ever so speedy reply too.
Trish9 is offline   Reply With Quote