Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Oct 28, 2012, 11:44 AM   #1
Default FZ50 leather inserts popped out

I have come home to my beloved FZ50 with the leather inserts popped out. I have no idea how this happened - I always keep it in its pouch when not in use. Most likely the recent cold weather is to blame.

How do i fix them at home? It looks like a press fit, I haven't been able to force the back panel manually - which seemed easier and also has the mike holes. The only solution i keep coming back is cutting to size and gluing back, which is rather crude.

The panels do exhibit a small adhesive like quality - they seem to "come off" if pulled, and it takes a considerable amount of force on all sides to put the same piece back; there's no trace of any glue, so I assume it's most likely a fit.
Attached Images
auzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 28, 2012, 2:23 PM   #2

G'day auzi

Firstly - welcome to Steves forum - there are lots of friendly people here too

In a nutshell - I'm not sure how you're going to fix this
I remember from many, many years ago of having to freeze something to reduce its size by several thousands-of-an-inch before it would be snapped into its fixture, but this is quite different

Maybe you will need to gently remove them from the body, allow them to 'flatten' a bit to remove any bend in the shape and as you surmise, carefully glue them back again

I know that most camera 'leather-look' skins are glued using contact adhesive &/or shoe repair adhesive [a slightly stronger, waterproof contact adhesive]

Good luck ...
Regards, Phil
Has Fuji & Lumix superzoom cameras and loves their amazing capabilities
Google me at Travelling School of Photography Australia
Recent images at http://www.flickr.com/photos/ozzie_traveller/sets/
Ozzie_Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote