Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Nov 8, 2012, 8:41 AM   #1

Default Lobster Boat

Checking the lobster pots off the Schoodic Peninsula, Acadia National Park, Maine.

Old Nov 8, 2012, 10:24 AM   #2

Did you get the camera wet...?
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2012, 11:34 AM   #3

The splash really hurts the final image as it obscures 1/3 of the frame. Taking several shots when you're on a boat and there is spray can help provide a shot with less splash/spray.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2012, 12:20 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIMON40 View Post
Did you get the camera wet...?
Not this time but I tell you the old FZ35 was in rain, fog, mist and splashed by ocean waves on this trip and just kept on ticking. I was kind of hoping it might die and I would be forced to get a new FZ200.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnG View Post
The splash really hurts the final image as it obscures 1/3 of the frame. Taking several shots when you're on a boat and there is spray can help provide a shot with less splash/spray.
Thanks John for taking the time to comment. I guess this was an experiment on my part and the spray was caught on purpose. I was sitting on the shore and caught the up spray for a slammer hitting the rocks.

When I looked at this image I was not thrilled by it but I thought I would post and get some opinions. I did post this over in the Critiques forum and asked for feedback.

Thanks again.

Jim
Old Nov 8, 2012, 5:55 PM   #5

I think the splash gives it an interesting and different look to otherwise just another (very) pretty shot of a boat and birds

Panasonic FZ150, FZ35 and GF1; Nikonos V when underwater

~~Art is in the eye of the camera holder~~
saly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2012, 6:09 PM   #6

jj... I have to confess, I looked at this shot for some time- undecided at the effect.
I think it was a worthwhile experiment and maybe a bit less spray would be the ticket.
And do you really need to trash the old FZ to get the 200...?
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2012, 6:51 PM   #7

Nice shot, Jim. While the splash certainly takes a sizeable portion of the photo, it takes only empty space and doesn't mar the boat. The splash also gives a real feel to the shot, as if the photo is taken from another boat nearby. As Simon and John say, less spray might have helped, but I feel this is one good photo to keep.

Last edited by Raghu; Nov 8, 2012 at 9:32 PM.
Raghu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2012, 7:03 PM   #8

Very nice Impact, I think the picture has taken on an almost hdr look from the white highlights, and the way the edge of the boat stands out.

Nice job.

P.
Paganman2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2012, 7:17 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by saly View Post
I think the splash gives it an interesting and different look to otherwise just another (very) pretty shot of a boat and birds
Thanks Saly. It is fun to try and get a different look sometimes, it's what makes you want to keep going out and pressing the shutter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIMON40 View Post
jj... I have to confess, I looked at this shot for some time- undecided at the effect.
I think it was a worthwhile experiment and maybe a bit less spray would be the ticket.
And do you really need to trash the old FZ to get the 200...?
Thanks Simon and I appreciate the feedback. Would nerver trash the FZ35, it is a great camera.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raghu View Post
Nice shot, Jim. While the splash certainly takes a sizeable portion of the photo, it takes only empty space and doesn't mar the boat. The splash also gives a real feel to the shot, as if the photo is taken from another boat nearby. As Simon and John say, less spray might have helped, but I feel this is one good photo to keep.
Thank you Raghu for the feedback. It was a bit of a challenge to get this one since the boat was far off the coast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paganman2011 View Post
Very nice Impact, I think the picture has taken on an almost hdr look from the white highlights, and the way the edge of the boat stands out.

Nice job.

P.
Thank you Paganman, appreciated.