Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Nov 26, 2012, 2:10 PM   #1

Default Indoor concert tips - FZ35

I'm going to see Brian Setzer Orchestra tomorrow night.
I've got 2nd row seats in a modest sized venue (NYCB Theatre in Westbury, NY).
They don't allow removable lenses, so that means I'll have my FZ35 rather than my Canon EOS.

So, looking for tips on settings.
With an indoor show, I assume I'll be using the maximum ISO 1600, but maybe worth trying at some lower settings.

Should I shoot using shutter-priority mode? What shutter speeds do you like to use for concerts?

Are there any presets I should experiment with?

Thanks for your help!! I'm sort of a newbie at indoor stuff, so any advice is appreciated.
graubart is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 26, 2012, 5:05 PM   #2

I've never shot a concert, but have used the FZ35 indoors. I'm afraid it's not the best camera for dark conditions and IQ really gets bad above ISO 400. I think the safest thing to do is keep it on P mode, then try different ISO settings to make sure you get some good shots. I think you will be surprised that concerts are actually pretty bright with stage lights. At that ISO, your shutter speed will be slow, so you will be prone to motion blur. If you can, brace yourself on something solid (like the back or the chair or a post). Also, try different metering mode and toggle between spot meter to multi meter and see which is giving your best results in exposure. Here are some shots I took in a very dark museum with my FZ35 at ISO 400. As you can see, it's already starting to get noisy.

Panasonic FZ150, FZ35 and GF1; Nikonos V when underwater

~~Art is in the eye of the camera holder~~
saly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 8:35 AM   #3

I've shot a lot of music and theater venues with the both the FZ35 and the FZ 150. You've solved the biggest problem by getting seats as close to the stage as possible so you don't have to zoom as much giving you the largest apreture. I always shoot in shutter priority mode because above all else you have to stop the action. Shoot at the fastest number of fps as possible. This gives you more chances at getting a good shot. Shoot in RAW to give you the post processing headroom. 1/100 is usually the sweet spot for stopping the action, but it varies a lot. You'll have to experiment during the show because it depends on what kind of action you're seeing. Look for moments when the action slows down. Examples below are in order 1. ISO 800, 1/100. 2. ISO 800, 1/100. 3. ISO 1600, 1/25. 4. ISO 3200, 1/60. Number three and 4 are examples of having to zoom in and keep the shutter speed low to get more light, but with lots of fps I got a few keepers among the blurry shots. In addition, the light was pretty good for those shots. Keep playing with ISO and shutter speed during the show until you find the best setting for your venue and action. All shot with the FZ 150. I also shoot with the fold out screen held at chest level or on my lap so I am unobtrusive to the audience. Best of luck.
Attached Images

Last edited by pboerger; Nov 28, 2012 at 8:43 AM.
pboerger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 1:28 PM   #4

Great shots, but these are with your FZ150 which does much better than FZ35 in low light. I find the FZ35 pretty worthless above ISO 400.

Panasonic FZ150, FZ35 and GF1; Nikonos V when underwater

~~Art is in the eye of the camera holder~~
saly is offline   Reply With Quote