Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Feb 10, 2004, 6:32 PM   #1
Default Question for Bob re: Gyros

Bob, someone at Phil's posted this. I know you don't hang out there anymore, so can you shed some light on this as pertaining to the FZ10?

I really don't believe that the IS mechanism of the FZ1/2 depends upon little spinning gyroscopes. Even though they're termed "digital gyros," I think there are indeed accelerometers inside the camera that sense movement in the X and Y directions, and that there is a feedback control system in place to then stabilize the image given the movement inputs from the accelerometers, but I don't buy the "spinning gyro" picture. If there were, you certainly wouldn't be able to shoot 250 photos on a single battery charge with the OIS engaged. (I never turn mine off, actually) So what's to hear? If you turn the camera off and shake it, you can hear the moveable lens element jouncing around, but once you turn on the power, its position then comes under system control, and you can't hear it anymore.
Guerito is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links