Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jan 17, 2013, 7:57 PM   #1

Default An afternoon at the seaside.

The missus and I took a trip to the west coast of Jutland to sit in the afternoon sun, needless to say the new camera came along too

We then moved further up the coast and arrived at a small coastal village, well known for its week long international surfing festival held each summer, and nicknamed by visiting surfers as "Cold Hawaii". We arrived 30 minutes after the sun had disappeared below the horizon, so the photo below is not too good as it was approaching dusk and a fog bank was forming on the otherside of the bay - hence the gray area. I couldn't resist including it
I used the IA setting and didn't expect too much of the camera. At ISO 1600 it turned out better than I expected. I wanted to keep the background to give an impression of the temperature, but it is a bit of a mess. Could I have taken it better?

"Freezing Hawaii". Brrrr...Sub zero surfing at -8 celcius. He was still out there an hour after the photo was taken! Glad it was him and not me.

"I am not a vegetarian because I love animals, I am a vegetarian because I hate hate plants" (A. Whitney Brown)
John J is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 18, 2013, 9:58 PM   #2

Default Iso 1600

Going back and looking at the recorded info on my Nikon I found that most of the pictures were shot at very high iso settings as I almost always shot in an auto mode, but allowed it to go that high. Pictures were ok, but maybe they would have been better with a lower iso setting. On these cameras it seems to be an issue, which makes them much slower than a full size DSLR.

But at the same time I am getting some very good pictures with the FZ200, and it sure is easier to handle than 6# of camera and zoom lens.

The picture of the fishing boat is interesting, You didn't wade out in the cold water for that did you?
Paul, enjoying my retirement riding my BMW R1200GS, and R90/6. Taking pictures with my new FZ200 and Nikon D90 of my grandkids, places I go and birds. God must have really had fun when he created the birds!
dpmonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2013, 10:04 AM   #3

Quote:
Going back and looking at the recorded info on my Nikon I found that most of the pictures were shot at very high iso settings as I almost always shot in an auto mode, but allowed it to go that high. Pictures were ok, but maybe they would have been better with a lower iso setting. On these cameras it seems to be an issue, which makes them much slower than a full size DSLR.

But at the same time I am getting some very good pictures with the FZ200, and it sure is easier to handle than 6# of camera and zoom lens.

The picture of the fishing boat is interesting, You didn't wade out in the cold water for that did you?
I took it in auto mode, figuring that it was better to let the camera decide the ISO etc, as I wanted to have the snow covered sand dunes in the background, but also needed a good shutter speed to capture the guy when there was a bit of action. The action when it came went pretty quick !

I'm enjoying the pictures you post taken with the FZ200, and I agree it is handy just to lug one piece of equipment around !

No, I didn't wade out into the water, although my feet and legs felt like I had done. I took the shot from behind a stone wall, so I was well protected from the water (but not the cold)

"I am not a vegetarian because I love animals, I am a vegetarian because I hate hate plants" (A. Whitney Brown)
John J is offline   Reply With Quote