Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jan 18, 2013, 12:25 PM   #1

Default birds at Anahuac wildlife refuge

A little warmer than Denmark here in coastal Texas. Rode the mc to the beach and refuge and took these. Suggestions welcome!
Attached Images

Paul, enjoying my retirement riding my BMW R1200GS, and R90/6. Taking pictures with my new FZ200 and Nikon D90 of my grandkids, places I go and birds. God must have really had fun when he created the birds!
dpmonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 18, 2013, 5:31 PM   #2

Thank you for those warming photos. #1 and #3 are my favourites. The bird in #1 does add a splah of colour to that dead tree trunk. You are lucky to have such colourful birds !
I envy your warmth

"I am not a vegetarian because I love animals, I am a vegetarian because I hate hate plants" (A. Whitney Brown)
John J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2013, 9:41 PM   #3

Default But don't you have puffins?

Winter is much more enjoyable down here than summer. Summer is almost always 90% humidity and temps at 90+. Enjoy your camera, I bet it is beautiful there in the summertime. Post some pictures of some Puffins, I have never seen one.
Paul, enjoying my retirement riding my BMW R1200GS, and R90/6. Taking pictures with my new FZ200 and Nikon D90 of my grandkids, places I go and birds. God must have really had fun when he created the birds!
Old Jan 19, 2013, 10:29 AM   #4

Quote:
But don't you have puffins? Winter is much more enjoyable down here than summer. Summer is almost always 90% humidity and temps at 90+. Enjoy your camera, I bet it is beautiful there in the summertime. Post some pictures of some Puffins, I have never seen one.
Sorry Paul, I am going to disappoint you, I have never seen one either, but have always wanted to! We don't have them in this part of Scandinavia, although they are found in Norway, Iceland, Greenland and the Faroe Islands. Denmark is somewhat flat, with just a few places with high cliffs. Not quite very attractive to puffins.
In my youth when living in the West of England, there was an Island called Lundy that had colonies of Puffins, unfortunately I never managed to take a trip there.

IMHO the most colourful wild bird we have here, is the Eurasian Jay.

"I am not a vegetarian because I love animals, I am a vegetarian because I hate hate plants" (A. Whitney Brown)
John J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2013, 7:20 AM   #5

Nice shots. That bird in the first shot really stands out. That heron is a smart one. We have a few that are spending the Winter on a pond up here in Chicago instead of going down there.
Steve
Old Jan 21, 2013, 11:05 AM   #6

Default Beautiful images

Beautiful shots. Birds are fascinating subjects.
Suwanavi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2013, 2:27 PM   #7

Wow what kind of a bird is that first one?

Panasonic FZ150, FZ35 and GF1; Nikonos V when underwater

~~Art is in the eye of the camera holder~~
saly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2013, 5:56 PM   #8

1 and 3 are vermillion flycatchers. 2 is a black crowned night heron, 4 is a sanderling.

Funny how you can look and look and one day they just walk across your path like the rail, They are so good at hiding and though you can hear them you rarely ever see them, and that's why you should always have your camera handy.
Attached Images

Last edited by dpmonk; Jan 21, 2013 at 10:45 PM. Reason: add pictures