Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jan 22, 2013, 1:10 PM   #1

Default Non suppoted camara pictures?

Hello
new member here...

Is there any way to get PhotoFunStudio or silkypics to recognize photos not produced directly from the camera (a Panasonic FZ200) ?? or even better from any camera?

For instance.
Generally both seem to only work with still photos from the FZ200 (and imported via PhotoFunStudio)

PhotoFunStudio will recognize stills captured from video (if captured in PhotoFunStudio)
but...
silkypics will not and seems to only recognize stills direct from the camera.

I'm new to silypics but do like some of it's ease of cropping and setting batch developement parameters.

Anyone know a work around or what it's actually keying in on to determine if a photo is recognized via those programs. I'd like to at least be able process the video frame captures along with still photos

Thanks
RandTx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 23, 2013, 10:05 AM   #2

Most programs look at some data in the EXIF information recorded by the camera to determine whether a particular camera brand/model is supported by that particular version of software. That's how they force people to upgrade to newer releases...by not providing support for newer cameras models at older software releases. My guess is that PhotoFunStudio is altering the EXIF data clobbering information that Silkypics needs to validate the image. See if you can find a way to have PhotoFun preserve the EXIF data. Some software will wipe it out but some won't.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2013, 11:44 AM   #3

Yeah maybe it's just bug in silkypics seems like they would allow photos from or modified by PhotoFunStudio but maybe not,

Here is what the EXiFs look like
Both say Panasonic
but one says the model is fz200 vs the other saying
PhotoFunStudio 8.3 PE and noting it as a captured still image

Seems like logically, silkypics would accept a file created or modified by photofun since photofun only works on files that come from the camera.

Attached Images

Old Jan 23, 2013, 12:02 PM   #4

Oh and just checked,
Took that 436 original photo, opened in photofun's retouch. lowred brightness a touch, saved it.
Silkypics can't see that one either.
The exif changed from model fz200 to photofun.. on that one too.

edit
Digging one step deeper, think I found a key. The specific Camera model.

Simply using IE to display the file properties I edited an exif
from Camera Model :
PHOTOfunSTUDIO 8.3 PE
to
DMC-FZ200
Now that photo is recognized by silkypics.

Just need to find a little batch EXIF editor and should be able to lump the captures from video and or edits back into silkypics for batch editing and development.

edit again...
and I did sort of using ExifToolGUI I was able to batch insert
-Exif:Model=DMC-FZ200
Making them editable via silkypics.

Still seems like silypics should accept files fromPHOTOfunSTUDIO 8.3 PE on it's own though, after all it's part of the software bundle included with the camera.

Last edited by RandTx; Jan 23, 2013 at 4:12 PM.
Old Jan 23, 2013, 5:52 PM   #5

The thing is, Silkypix is not a free software. Thus, it eants to make sure it only opens images created by camera models it supports. If you have older versions of Silkypix from old Panasonic cameras you bought in the past, it will not open any image from your FZ200. I know this because when I bought my G3, I had to install the new Silkypix that came with it. The one I had on the computer that came with the G1 would not open the G3 images. Now, are you sure you cannot configure PhotoFunStudio so that it will preserve the EXIF data? As I mentioned, some photo editors give you the choice to keep the EXIF data intact, have it changed or even removed from the final image.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2013, 9:42 AM   #6

So far no, if it's there I haven't found it.