Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Oct 8, 2013, 5:26 PM   #1

Default For Raghu or anyone who likes hibiscus flowers.

A couple of months ago, you asked me if Icould post a photo of our pink hibiscus in bloom, unfortunately the last of the flowers had withered and dropped off by the time I saw your reply.
So here is a new flower that appeared yesterday. We normally get 1 or 2 flowers at one time, then one or two a couple of days later. It is not a particularly good photo, I could not move it to a better location, as I have just had an operation and am forbidden to lift anything heavy for the moment.
The photo was taken with my FZ150 in macro mode. I have just ordered a DMW-LC55 and adapter, so I am eager to try it out and hopefully get some better close ups.

"I am not a vegetarian because I love animals, I am a vegetarian because I hate hate plants" (A. Whitney Brown)
John J is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 8, 2013, 8:31 PM   #2

Under your difficult conditions, this is a gorgeous photo, congratulations! The background light has worked well in this shot. Thanks for posting. I love hibiscus - for inexplicable reasons, this is one of the few that always attract me - the others being the moon, the sea, the elephant and the steam engine!

For full flower shots, you really don't need a close up lens. The macro mode should do. It is only when you need to go much closer, to take shots of the stamens, etc., that you may need an add-on lens. LC-55 is a good lens to have and I am sure you will have ample other, small subjects to test it on.

Last edited by Raghu; Oct 8, 2013 at 8:34 PM.
Raghu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2013, 9:10 PM   #3

Nice looking Hibiscus John. Is that a gunshot hole in the upper left?

Take care,

jj
Old Oct 9, 2013, 4:38 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjdog2 View Post
Nice looking Hibiscus John. Is that a gunshot hole in the upper left?

Take care,

jj
I had a feeling that I should have cloned that out after I posted it ! The missus takes potshots at me now and again, just to keep me on my toes (or in this case, cowering in nervous obedience)

"I am not a vegetarian because I love animals, I am a vegetarian because I hate hate plants" (A. Whitney Brown)
Old Oct 9, 2013, 5:10 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raghu View Post
Under your difficult conditions, this is a gorgeous photo, congratulations! The background light has worked well in this shot. Thanks for posting. I love hibiscus - for inexplicable reasons, this is one of the few that always attract me - the others being the moon, the sea, the elephant and the steam engine!

For full flower shots, you really don't need a close up lens. The macro mode should do. It is only when you need to go much closer, to take shots of the stamens, etc., that you may need an add-on lens. LC-55 is a good lens to have and I am sure you will have ample other, small subjects to test it on.
Thank you Raghu. The hibiscus stands in the kitchen window in a rather large and heavy pot, and fills the whole window area. It is now about 7 years old and has been pruned 2 or three times. I love the flowers as they are so big and bright. It is just a shame they only last 1 or 2 days. The colour of the flowers compliment the colour of the walls of the kitchen, which is why there is a nail in the wall in the top left, as I had removed a picture which would have clashed badly ! (If Jim reads this, he now has the real explanation ! )

Well we have steam trains, the moon and sea in common. I also am facinated by clouds and sunsets. I don't get to see too many elephants around here but I like most animals and since getting the FZ150, enjoy photographing them.

It is the wonderful insect photos that I have seen posted on this forum, and a few disappointing close ups I took of smaller flowers that prompted me to order the LC55. Hopefully by next summer I will have managed to save up for the LT55 as well.

Last edited by John J; Oct 9, 2013 at 5:13 PM.
Old Oct 9, 2013, 7:24 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by John J View Post
Hopefully by next summer I will have managed to save up for the LT55 as well.
Wow! Congrats! I am sure you will have a good time with both LC55 and LT55 - some of the photos here with these lenses have been awesome.

I agree with you that it is such a pity these beautiful flowers don't last for more than a day.
Raghu is offline   Reply With Quote