Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jan 11, 2014, 12:05 PM   #1
Default DMC-TZ40 eeprom files

I have Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ40 camera and I rent it to my neighbour. When it arrived back to me, it has many issues (white balancy, slow shutter, can't change language after reset, etc...). I think, that EEPROM data are corrupted.

Can someone please send me his 2 files (TZ40U.TXT, TZ40F.TXT) from EEPROM dump of DMC-TZ40EP model? (Panasonic service in our country don't offer me them, they prompt only warranty repair by forward to other service partner)

BulkTZ40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 11, 2014, 3:22 PM   #2

That's very unlikely.

Have you tried resetting the camera back to factory defaults?

Here's where you can find an English language user guide for it:

If you click on the "I accept" button on that page, then click on the "View" button, it will redirect you to the download for the .pdf manual for the TZ-40.

If you see page 63, it looks like you'll find a RESET choice under the Setup menu for resetting all of the recording parameters back to factory defaults.

As for firmware, you can get the latest 1.2 version from the Panasonic Japan web site. If you click on the "Accept" button at the bottom of the page under the license agreement, it will take you to a page that has the download links on it:

I don't know if your camera model may use region specific firmware or not (as some cameras require firmware that is unique to a given region). So, use it at your own risk.

But, I doubt you have any EEPROM corruption issue that would be helped by reinstalling it's firmware.

Also, if you have a hardware fault (or something like a bad battery causing your issues), you could damage your camera by trying to reinstall firmware on it.

Have you tried a different battery in it (as sometimes a voltage problem from a failing battery can cause odd problems).

IOW, something else is probably causing your issues, and I'd try using the Reset choice under the Setup menus first, so that all of the recording parameters are set back to factory defaults.

Then, make sure you have a known good battery in it that's fully charged. You may also want to try a different memory card in it (as sometimes, a memory card with a failing component can pull too much current causing issues).

I would not attempt to install firmware before ruling out everything else, as you could turn your camera into a "brick" (totally useless) if the procedure to flash the firmware to the camera's EEPROM doesn't complete properly. Also, some cameras will not let you reinstall firmware if you already have the latest version installed (I don't know if the TZ-40 falls into that category or not, but it looks like there is a 1.2 version of firmware available for it now).
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote