Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Feb 4, 2014, 1:34 PM   #1

Default Another moon Effort

10 mp 151 x zoom , think it cam out quite well . Any advice on getting the outer less bright without the rest ending up too dark ?

[IMG][/IMG]
Forzahibs is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 5, 2014, 1:54 AM   #2

Darren,
Nice shot, with good detail on craters. I was not able to get EXIF either here or in your Flickr stream. Agree the right bottom is a little blown out, for which I can think of three options:
1. Reduce exposure time. You can always brighten up an underexposed shot much better than darkening an overexposed shot (you can also think of reducing the aperture and increasing the ISO as alternatives).
2. Try reducing the contrast setting in your camera (it is only a suggestion, I myself have to try it out)
3. Shooting RAW. They say you can even correct overexposed areas much better than if you shoot in JPEG (again, I have to try it out).
The moon does give us plenty of room to test and learn photography. Happy trials!
Old Feb 5, 2014, 3:04 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raghu View Post
Darren,
Nice shot, with good detail on craters. I was not able to get EXIF either here or in your Flickr stream. Agree the right bottom is a little blown out, for which I can think of three options:
1. Reduce exposure time. You can always brighten up an underexposed shot much better than darkening an overexposed shot (you can also think of reducing the aperture and increasing the ISO as alternatives).
2. Try reducing the contrast setting in your camera (it is only a suggestion, I myself have to try it out)
3. Shooting RAW. They say you can even correct overexposed areas much better than if you shoot in JPEG (again, I have to try it out).
The moon does give us plenty of room to test and learn photography. Happy trials!
I took another later that was slightly better but the moon is a very tricky subject . I was going to try raw but unfortunately it limits the zoom .
I'll try your suggestions next time the moon is in view
Old Feb 5, 2014, 7:33 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forzahibs View Post
I was going to try raw but unfortunately it limits the zoom .
Glad you are getting better shots. Yes, I also tried RAW, but didn't succeed much. Here is a shot at f/5, 1/80 sec, and a little PP (to adjust highlights/shadows and sharpen the picture just a wee bit). Hope you like it.

Old Feb 5, 2014, 11:49 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raghu View Post
Glad you are getting better shots. Yes, I also tried RAW, but didn't succeed much. Here is a shot at f/5, 1/80 sec, and a little PP (to adjust highlights/shadows and sharpen the picture just a wee bit). Hope you like it.

A much more even light across the moon , nice shot