Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Feb 26, 2014, 4:20 PM   #1
Default FZ45 zoom problems

First post so be gentle.
Have been given an FZ45 which worked perfectly, over Christmas I played with some of the settings.
Now the zoom does not work, when the camera is powered on the lens barrel extends so it not an issue with a motor. Camera happily takes pictures which record properly. When zoom level is moved the autofocus light comes on, but no movement from the barrel. When reviewing pictures on the camera I am unable to zoom into the pictures.
Followed the instructions in the manual and successfully reset user setting but still no working zoom.
Question is there a way to do a full factory reset to restore all setting to default?
Thank you
Merlon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 26, 2014, 5:56 PM   #2

I don't have a fz45, but maybe this might help.
In ur settings ....might be under tools....look for ZOOM RESUME or something of that order and make sure that is set to "OFF".
And there is a reset for NUMBER RESET.... then after that RESET ALL PERIMETERS.....say YES to that.....that should do it ?!? That will reset everything I think....date / time/ year etc and bring u back to default factory settings.....I hope.
BOB7255KHZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2014, 12:38 AM   #3

Thank you Bob.
I had already tried the reset shown in the manual without success. Was hoping there was a proper factory reset

Old Feb 27, 2014, 2:58 AM   #4

Since you say there is no movement in the barrel when you operate the zoom lever, and also there is no effect when reviewing with zoom lever, I get a feel the zoom lever is malfunctioning. If that is so, and if other tips you may get here fail, it is fairly a simple job that the Pana service can do in a few days time. (A similar problem happened to me, but then it was because I dropped the camera and it fell bang on the floor, with the zoom lever taking a direct hit. Even then, it was not the zoom function that was affected, but the shutter release gradually became stiff and finally the camera stopped clicking. I was able to get it replaced, though it took some time for me because the spare had to come from another city, and it cost just about INR 1,000 - below $20!).

No need to be 'not gentle' even for the 1000th post!
My Flickr My Blog
Raghu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2014, 2:47 PM   #5

G'day Merlon

Agree with Raghu - sounds to be a camera malfunction
I suspect that if you take the camera to your local US / UK/ Euro service centre, the comment will be "uneconomic to repair" ~ therefore I suggest you airfreight it to Raghu for his local people to repair it at a reasonable cost etc etc

Has Fuji & Lumix superzoom cameras and loves their amazing capabilities
Google me at Travelling School of Photography Australia
Recent images at http://www.flickr.com/photos/ozzie_traveller/sets/
Ozzie_Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2014, 3:23 AM   #6

Thank you for your replies.
I have resigned myself to sending the camera to the UK repair centre. Hopefully there will a positive outcome. Fingers crossed.