Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Mar 26, 2014, 6:03 AM   #1
Default getting it to be white

How can I get my FZ38 to take white backgrounds?

I photograph my artwork but the white background always comes out a horrible grey and then I have to spend a lot of time trying to get it back to white.

Sorry not be here in ages as so busy with my University work and artwork that time is short. but I do still pop in to see what is happening when I can.
Many thanks

Panasonic FZ200 + Panasonic FZ38 + Macro & Tele Kit (DMW-LC55 + DMW-LT55 + DMW-LA5)
eysha is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 26, 2014, 3:34 PM   #2

Hello again Eysha

White paper / backgrounds .... overexpose the photo - use the +/- button to set to EV +1 or +2

The camera's light meter sees the white sheet as being brighter than our eyes see it, and so makes it go darker than we really want it to go - so the photo becomes under-exposed and dark

ps- the same happens with daytime photos with lots of grey-white clouds in them
Hope this helps a bit
Regards, Phil
Has Fuji & Lumix superzoom cameras and loves their amazing capabilities
Google me at Travelling School of Photography Australia
Recent images at http://www.flickr.com/photos/ozzie_traveller/sets/
Ozzie_Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2014, 3:55 PM   #3

What kind of artwork are we talking about...? Is it strongly contrasting with the background ? Might spot metering on the subject over-expose the background (which would help)...?
Perhaps post an image here so we can have a look...
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2014, 10:59 AM   #4

You can play with the settings which ozzie and simon proposed. You need to overexpose the image to get the really white background but that will overexpose your subject too. Also try to change the metering mode and see if it works with your subject. If you want try something like a softbox or build something similar on your own, its not really hard just some white fabric and some light sources are enough materials. Softboxes are used for showing products so it would be nice if you want to show your artwork online or something like that. A softbox will create a really nice soft white background and your subject will be light with the right amount of light instead of being overexposed because you can set the source wherever you want. The only disadvantage is the size limitation but let us know what you think. Also dont forget the White Balance setting on your camera.
Picasa album for closer look https://picasaweb.google.com/geoper2...6r8Pnh5qjyiwE#

Last edited by geoper2; Apr 3, 2014 at 11:41 AM.
geoper2 is offline   Reply With Quote