Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old May 15, 2014, 1:59 PM   #1

Default Noob looking for someone to team up and learn photography on FZ35/FZ38

Hello everyone,

My name is billy. I'm a total noob here whom has bought a Panasonic Lumix FZ-38 camera. I have very little knowledge and was hoping to learn some tips and tricks on how to take similar amazing shots to the ones posted by forum users on here.

Is anyone willing to join me or at least help me a little?
FZ38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 15, 2014, 2:17 PM   #2

Hi Billy and welcome to the forum.

I shoot with a FZ35 (same camera). Why don't you post some shots and if you have any questions just ask.

JJ
Old May 15, 2014, 2:27 PM   #3

Hi jjdog2, thank you for the warm welcome.

I don't know where to start...my place is very gloomy and not much wildlife pictures that I can take
Old May 15, 2014, 2:49 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by FZ38 View Post
Hi jjdog2, thank you for the warm welcome.

I don't know where to start...my place is very gloomy and not much wildlife pictures that I can take
Just take whatever your eyes and mind see.

jj
Old May 15, 2014, 4:48 PM   #5

G'day Billy

Firsty mate - welcome to Steves ... there's heaps of photo enthusiasts here & we're all open to helping others. So as JJ says - just post some pix and we'll do our best to help out

Phil
Ozzie_Traveller is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2014, 5:05 PM   #6

My photos below are very dull looking and dark. FYI, the blurry outdoor photos were taken with max zoom and my hands were somewhat shaking.

I'm absolute rubbish and to start off with, I would like to learn the following:-

BOKEH - Get a good shot of a person with a blurry background
VIVID/VIBRANT & SHARP IMAGE - The images I shoot are very dull and lack that spark, so how can I add more life to an image without the need of post processing?

I thank you for your time and eagerly look forward to your advice.

http://share.pho.to/5dTF2
Old May 16, 2014, 2:46 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by FZ38 View Post
My photos below are very dull looking and dark. FYI, the blurry outdoor photos were taken with max zoom and my hands were somewhat shaking.

I'm absolute rubbish and to start off with, I would like to learn the following:-

BOKEH - Get a good shot of a person with a blurry background
VIVID/VIBRANT & SHARP IMAGE - The images I shoot are very dull and lack that spark, so how can I add more life to an image without the need of post processing?

I thank you for your time and eagerly look forward to your advice.

http://share.pho.to/5dTF2
Hi Billy,

After a quick look at your shots, I think maybe you're being trigger happy ...

When you half press the shutter button allow a definite pause so that the autofocus has time to function, before completing the full press.

Reread your user manual to clarify what I'm saying, also bear in mind long zoom shots need steadier hands, perhaps you need to practice more.

Hope this helps. ... Jack.

Edit:- check out this link http://digital-photography-school.co...-camera-shake/ ........ shows techniques to hold your camera more steady.

I'm sure you'll find others too if you search. ... J.

Last edited by jachol; May 16, 2014 at 2:54 AM. Reason: Add info
jachol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2014, 3:08 AM   #8

Thank you very much jachol. Your right! I've been practicing zoom shots and my photos are coming out much more clearer...now I need to figure out how to make the pictures more vibrant and the bokeh effect.

FYI, regarding the bokeh, I want to create an effect similar to this:-

Last edited by FZ38; May 16, 2014 at 3:44 AM.
Old May 16, 2014, 8:46 AM   #9

Hello again everyone,

It's been good weather today, so I've been out practising with my FZ38. I think I'm getting better, but I'll let you be the judge of that as I've started compiling an album of photos I take. I would like to add that I took some photos in raw and some in jpeg. I realise that raw does produce large files and bring washed out photos, but I love the fact that I can edit the photo in all it's glory and make it look more vibrant.

For the raw photos, you will find the before and after processed photos (read the comments with some of the photos!!!)...let me know what you make of it:-

https://plus.google.com/photos/10304...IWzkM2tvf6gjAE
Old May 16, 2014, 10:52 AM   #10

Hi Billy,

I've no experience of your particular camera, so can't give chapter and verse answers, and since you appear to be keen on long zoom shots ... there is one

very basic rule of thumb that helps reduce camera shake ... that is never shoot at a lower speed than 1/effective focal length of your lens. ie. if you have a 300 mm lens, then do not shoot at a speed lower than 1/300 sec a 50 mm lens would give 1/50 sec.

Two ways you can do this with a digicam ...
1. To get a faster speeed you can increase your apperture (lower f#), but your depth of field (DOF) is narrower, and focus is more critical.

2. Increase your ISO will help get higher shutter speeds, play off here is that the higher you make the ISO the more noise you will introduce.

Experiment with your camera along these lines in time you'll find settings that give the results you want with acceptable compromise. ... Jack
jachol is offline   Reply With Quote