Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Jul 2, 2014, 1:17 AM   #1
Default Does Leica make Panasonic?

I have recently bought myself an FZ1 camera. It is my first digital and I do not know very much about them at all.
I have read much of Panasonic not being very successful in the world of photography, also I have read much of Leica being one very respected name.
I am happy with my camera and I was wondering whether anyone had an opinion on how the joining of Panasonic and Leica will reflect on Panasonic, does the fact that Panasonic now use such a well respected lens mean that they will themselves gain the following of perfectionists or does it mean that people who originally bought Leica will see this as a step downmarket for their brand?

"Work is the curse of the drinking classes."

Iwak Kobong is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 2, 2014, 2:07 PM   #2

As it relates to this forum, The Leica V-Lux and D-Lux models are re-branded Panasonic LX and FZ cameras, so in that sense, Panasonic makes Leica.

Any benefit of "joining" should show up pretty soon, since they've been associated for the last 10 or 12 years.

It seems like this forum gets more traffic than most others on this site, so I don't know what "being not very successful" means.
BBbuilder467 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2014, 11:16 AM   #3

The FZ1 is an "antique" in the world of digital photography- coming out in 2002..!
Panasonic have been using the "L" badge for a long time now- though as to whether they actually use Leica glass or Leica "designed" glass- who can say.
As for Panasonic not being very successful in photographic terms- have you seen the traffic/posts/visits on the Panasonic section here...?
The numbers would seem to contradict that theory...!
For potential Leica buyers- the price differential of the "true" leica's and the Leica badged panasonics will reassure the purists...
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote