Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Panasonic / Leica

Old Mar 7, 2004, 9:35 PM   #1
Default Canon G3 /FZ10 compare...

I'm currently using a friends Canon G3, and have very much enjoyed the readout that let's you know if the picture is a stop or two too bright or dark. Being a beginner, I found myself able to learn quickly with it, handling difficult low-light conditions, even though it was my first time shooting with all manual controls.

I haven't read anywhere that talks about this kind of feature on the FZ10. Does anyone know / personally use a similar feature on the FZ10? Also, does the FZ10 have a way of navigating certain menu options with (or something similar to) a mouse-wheel? (top right-hand side of the G3).

I'm enjoying the G3 for the time being, and would just like to know how the FZ10 compares, since it has a few features the G3 doesn't, like the manual focus ring.
Reactor is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 8, 2004, 12:48 AM   #2

Dear Reactor,

Regarding the readout which shows whether the camera thinks the resulting picture will be too bright or dark, are you referring to this kind of readout (manual exposure assistance)....?

(image obtained from Steve's Digicams review http://www.steves-digicams.com/2003_.../fz10_pg3.html). The area used to calculate the exposure can be decreased in 'spot mode'.

The FZ10 also features a real-time histogram, which is somewhat less useful but interesting to watch.

The FZ10 does not use a wheel/dial to select menu options. It uses a round 4-way selector (rather like a joy-pad) instead. You can see a picture of this on the Steve's Digicams review as listed above.

Cheerio, David.

http://www.users.bigpond.com/vkelim/photography.html --- FZ10 rough guide
DavidFong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2004, 1:57 AM   #3

Awesome, thanks... that looks just like the thing I'm after I missed that when reading through the review. It looks like (apart from the mouse-wheel thingy) the G3 and FZ10 have almost exactly the same options and controls.

Btw- nice to see another Aussie around! Also, thanks for the great faq link.
Reactor is offline   Reply With Quote